Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Ran over nail, patch or replace tire? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299704)

Matt89 10-12-2012 05:11 PM

Ran over nail, patch or replace tire?
 
I ran over a nail on the rear driver side tire and it went through the "edge" (not the bottom part and not the side that part lol) part of the tire. No noticeable air pressure has been lost, haven't checked the exact PSI but it doesn't look or feel deflated at all.

Brought it in to one place, they said it would be $20 to patch up, waited almost 2 hrs until they got to my car and that's when they told me it needs a new tire which will run a total of about $200.

This being my first vehicle Im not sure whether to believe them or not so I just drove it home (2min drive). Should this be patchable or will I need a new tire?

FLYLOW 10-12-2012 05:23 PM

pictures? if its not anywhere near the tire wall you dont have to replace the tire, why spend that extra money? most big tire places wont just patch a tire, warranty reason and they risk being sued later or whatever if your tire blows at 100mph and you crash. take it to a small family owned place (at least thats what i used to do back home)

6SPD_soul 10-12-2012 05:37 PM

It's risky when you get into the shoulder of the tire, and really if it's anywhere near the sidewall you probably won't find any shop willing to do it, or you find a place like Flylow mentioned and they'll tell you it's a bad idea and then do it for you. It's a really easy job to do yourself, just take the tire off, deflate, get nail out and put in the patch, reinflate.

If you've got the money to spare I'd recommend replacing the tire, if money's tight patch it and hope for the best.

Matt89 10-12-2012 05:40 PM

Yea I brought it to a big place so I'll try a smaller place tomorrow. Money isn't tight right but these are brand new tires from 2 years ago so I don't want to go replacing one already!

FLYLOW 10-12-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul (Post 4402009)
It's risky when you get into the shoulder of the tire, and really if it's anywhere near the sidewall you probably won't find any shop willing to do it, or you find a place like Flylow mentioned and they'll tell you it's a bad idea and then do it for you. It's a really easy job to do yourself, just take the tire off, deflate, get nail out and put in the patch, reinflate.

If you've got the money to spare I'd recommend replacing the tire, if money's tight patch it and hope for the best.

if its not that bad you dont even need to remove it and patch it... just get a DIY tire plugger kit... in and out in less than 2 mins and you can leave the tire on (i call them sticky worm kits)

focusmaniaczx3 10-12-2012 07:52 PM

^^^ lol just used one of those the week before last on my girlfriend's car. sunday night, had about 150 miles she needed to drive to get back to school, class in the morning, found a nail in the tire, no tire shops open, bring on the tire plug! it lasted until the following weekend when i replaced the tire. as a matter of fact she ran a plug in another tire for about 6 months or more with no problems.

take a picture of the puncture so we can see how close to the sidewall this is and so we can see roughly what angle it goes in at. you may need to replace that tire but $200 to replace a freaking tire is ridiculously expensive. if money is tight you can call around to some local mom and pop tire shops and ask them if they have any decent used tires in the size that you need. they might charge $25-$50 mounted and balanced.

if you can find a place called discount tire near you then i highly suggest going there and buying a NEW tire. if the tires you have are in good shape they will give you the option to insure those as well as your new tire so if you get a puncture again you can come in and replace the tire for free. a new tire from there might run $70-$90. however i just noticed that you are in canada so i dont think thats an option for you since i believe discount tire isnt in canada...

Elizabeth 10-12-2012 08:35 PM

First off if the nail did not actually penetrate the interior of the the tire.. Just pull it out and forget it.
The nail may have twisted into the side and just punctured nothing but rubber.
If so, ZERO need to do anything but pull out the nail.

IF the nail punctured into the inner area, then it penetrated the 'ply' and that usually calls for a repair which also reduces the speed rating by one.
The sidewall area flexs a LOT and cannot be properly repaired. (Because it flexes all the time...)

I would pull out the nail now. Check the pressure a few times over the weekend, and if NO pressure is lost, the nail did NOT enter the interior of the tire.

If you are racing the car at 120mph then yeah have the tire removed and checked inside.
If all you do is normal daily driving. no problem. The tire is NOT going to come apart, explode, or otherwise cause havoc.
The TPF monitoring will tell you if it suddenly starts loosing pressure while driving.
If it does NOT lose any pressure in a few weeks, you are totally in the clear.

Matt89 10-12-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4402283)
First off if the nail did not actually penetrate the interior of the the tire.. Just pull it out and forget it.
The nail may have twisted into the side and just punctured nothing but rubber.
If so, ZERO need to do anything but pull out the nail.

IF the nail punctured into the inner area, then it penetrated the 'ply' and that usually calls for a repair which also reduces the speed rating by one.
The sidewall area flexs a LOT and cannot be properly repaired. (Because it flexes all the time...)

I would pull out the nail now. Check the pressure a few times over the weekend, and if NO pressure is lost, the nail did NOT enter the interior of the tire.

If you are racing the car at 120mph then yeah have the tire removed and checked inside.
If all you do is normal daily driving. no problem. The tire is NOT going to come apart, explode, or otherwise cause havoc.
The TPF monitoring will tell you if it suddenly starts loosing pressure while driving.
If it does NOT lose any pressure in a few weeks, you are totally in the clear.

I'm hoping this is the case considering that the nail isn't in all the way and is stick out about a 3/8".

felixthecat 10-14-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt89 (Post 4402619)
I'm hoping this is the case considering that the nail isn't in all the way and is stick out about a 3/8".

Yeah but, how long is the nail? I'd also move that tire to the rear if its not.

BigRed03 10-14-2012 10:55 AM

did you get road hazard on the tires??? I always do for this reason, have yet to need it, but I figure paying it a couple of times spreads the tire replacement cost out, and not a one time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.