Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Messaging on MFT (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299608)

Phokus 10-11-2012 03:44 PM

Messaging on MFT

How does this actually work? I have a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx and so far everything works flawlessly. I have 3.0.2 from the factory on my 8-27-12 build Titanium.

I was sitting in the car and driving when I received a text message. MFT recognized nothing. This happened a few times so I was like hm oh well. I'll figure it out later.

However today I was comparing with a co-worker's 2012 Titanium and I received a text message before I got into the car. When the phone hooked up it alerted me that I had a message. I was able to access it and have it read it to me. Pretty nifty right?
So what's up with that?

BlueIce 10-11-2012 03:57 PM

I wish it was more consistent. Sometimes it will alert me and sometimes it wont. I honestly dont even use the messaging feature anymore.

Phokus 10-11-2012 04:11 PM

Oh so now today of course after I post this I go drive home real quick from work to pick up stuff I receive my messages.
I also noticed this with other things. It's like the features are slowly waking up. First time didn't work and I need to use again until it works once and they will continue to work

pablo94sc 10-12-2012 11:54 AM

I've turned message notification off (under phone menu) numerous times and it always seems to revert back to alerting me, so it's probably a bug in Sync regarding this feature.

BTW, reading a text is nice and all, but I'd rather just ignore the message since Sync can't send a reply while you're driving. A canned response like, "Driving, please call me - Sent from Sync" would be nice.

afinley 10-12-2012 02:28 PM

If you don't regularly get alerted to messages, on your phone go the Bluetooth menu, select the menu settings, go to Advanced, and make sure Message Access is checked.

zehkaiser 10-12-2012 04:22 PM

I have found that this is a problem with the OS on the phone. I used to flash ROMs on my phone a lot. Some supported messaging over BT, and others didn't. If you're having problems getting messaging to work over BT in the car, ask a developer to add support for you.

Phokus 10-12-2012 11:53 PM

ok after using this a bit more, I think this feature kind of sucks. Could be a lot better than what it is.. but one day... not too bad of a start

ForTiDude 10-13-2012 11:00 PM

I don't yet have a smart phone but I'm researching features and sync compatibility. Here are a few things I've found:
- Make sure bluetooth MAP is enabled on the phone.
- If you make changes to the setup on the phone, re-pair it to sync so sync rediscovers the phone's capabilities. It may only do this at pair time not each time it is linked.
- You should be able to dictate reply text messages directly with phone, android needs "voice actions" setup a free download if not already installed. I think Siri on iPhone will do this as well. Windows phone? I don't know. Some android phones have a car mode with just a few large buttons (icons) for minimal hand use and lots of voice control. The phone would need to be mounted where the speaker phone function is effective.
-Sync manual says that it has 15 canned responses and room to add custom replies to be stored ahead of time. I don't know if they can be used while driving.

I hope this helps some do their own testing and research to get the most out of sync and the smart phone capabilities.

oldpueblo 10-14-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablo94sc (Post 4401269)
I've turned message notification off (under phone menu) numerous times and it always seems to revert back to alerting me, so it's probably a bug in Sync regarding this feature.

BTW, reading a text is nice and all, but I'd rather just ignore the message since Sync can't send a reply while you're driving. A canned response like, "Driving, please call me - Sent from Sync" would be nice.

I can reply via voice and it will text it back out, so it's probably phone OS. I'm using Windows Phone 7.5 (Tango). It even asks if it's correct and I can say no and repeat it again if I want.

zehkaiser 10-14-2012 06:17 PM

If you're using an android phone and don't mind flashing a custom ROM, try CM10 (Cyanogenmod). It works very well, and supports all features.