Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   2012 focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299528)

lexi321cat 10-10-2012 12:24 PM

2012 focus

Any one have Transmission problems with there 2012 focus like slipping? Its like driving a standard with the clutch going.But I have an automatic.

Chaos09 10-10-2012 12:44 PM

Use the search function. There are multiple threads on this. Looks in the MK3 section and you will find everything you need.

Kevastator 10-11-2012 10:38 AM

I believe Ford did a recall for the 2012 automatics a little while back. Was your car affected by that, and if so, has it been repaired?

lexi321cat 10-12-2012 07:53 AM

that was for roll back

Twenty 10-12-2012 11:04 AM

Technically it IS a manual, and not an automatic. It may not be what you're used to, perhaps combined with an actual problem, but keep that in mind.

PratoN 10-12-2012 04:00 PM

This is probably where my future posts on this topic belong.

What is your build date? There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.

Unfortunately, the literature states nothing about the symptoms other than the leak. But from what I've heard from others that have this issue, their car makes a "grinding" or "rattling" noise while shifting (almost always into 2nd, 4th, 6th, and reverse due to their design sharing the same clutch) as well as slipping while accelerating on level ground and/or keeping steady speeds uphill.

If you don't have the transmission fluid under your vehicle, I presume we're in the same boat. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning because of the slipping and mentioned someone I knew had the same noise except their car was leaking transmission fluid and mine isn't. I hope that steered them in the right direction. I don't want to have to go in there and say "Here is TSB 11-12-13. This is the issue. Fix it." because I'm only 99% certain that it is and to go over their heads seems rude.

ccelaya 10-16-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PratoN (Post 4401939)
This is probably where my future posts on this topic belong.

What is your build date? There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.

Unfortunately, the literature states nothing about the symptoms other than the leak. But from what I've heard from others that have this issue, their car makes a "grinding" or "rattling" noise while shifting (almost always into 2nd, 4th, 6th, and reverse due to their design sharing the same clutch) as well as slipping while accelerating on level ground and/or keeping steady speeds uphill.

If you don't have the transmission fluid under your vehicle, I presume we're in the same boat. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning because of the slipping and mentioned someone I knew had the same noise except their car was leaking transmission fluid and mine isn't. I hope that steered them in the right direction. I don't want to have to go in there and say "Here is TSB 11-12-13. This is the issue. Fix it." because I'm only 99% certain that it is and to go over their heads seems rude.

I have the grinding noise, and got a "transmission malfunction, service now" message some weeks ago. Where should I be looking for the fluid leak?... With this I would have enough arguments to get my transmission fixed.

Thanks!

PratoN 10-17-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccelaya (Post 4408184)
I have the grinding noise, and got a "transmission malfunction, service now" message some weeks ago. Where should I be looking for the fluid leak?... With this I would have enough arguments to get my transmission fixed.

Take off the aero shield as if you were changing your oil (you'll need a T30 Torx bit). If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem! If it's thick / honey-colored that's just corrosion inhibitor, don't worry about it.

ccelaya 10-17-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PratoN (Post 4410415)
Take off the aero shield as if you were changing your oil (you'll need a T30 Torx bit). If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem! If it's thick / honey-colored that's just corrosion inhibitor, don't worry about it.

Thanks a lot, I'll take a look this weekend[wrenchin]

matt1975 10-21-2012 01:25 AM

I'm also experiencing the Grinding sound when I accelerate but mostly when I accelerate while making a right turn and My car shudders like the transmission is slipping when i start off It last from the start of 1st gear and continues until I reach second gear.. I plan on taking it to the service department on monday but they will probably just play it off as nothing or try to convince me that it's all in my head like they always do..but I'll keep bringing it in until it's fixed..