Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Sync microphone please help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299494)

Mitch12 10-10-2012 01:15 AM

Sync microphone please help

Hello there, this is my first post on here so first off apologize if anything is wrong. Ok, I have a 09 Ford Focus coupe SES which I bought used this summer. Sync worked great. I just had the windows tinted, including a 'visor strip' on the front windshield. Ever since this (yesterday) the Sync system will not head my voice at all. It seems clearly a microphone issue. I dont think the tint could somehow be blocking the microphone. Am I correct in that the mic is located in the rear view mirror? Could the tint affect it? or is it more likely the installers somehow broke/damaged/stole the mic? the mirror was twisted all the way down when I got my car back. I can't see much wrong however there is a whole on the back where something seems like it should be plugged in and nothing is plugged in. However, I have no idea if anything was ever plugged in there or if that is something different/extra.

Thanks for your help!
Mitch

whynotthinkwhynot 10-10-2012 05:07 AM

If you had a strip done on the windshield, then yes, the mirror is usually removed. Is there wiring that goes down to the mirror, or is it wireless? I don't have an 09, so I don't know.

Minchkin 10-10-2012 11:33 AM

It is NOT wireless. It seems that when they did the tint, they have either moved the wires up into the headliner, or they took them out. Either way, you should take it back to them and ask what they did with them. I'll be back, I'll take a picture of what it should be like.

Minchkin 10-10-2012 11:50 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/11/y8uqe2ap.jpg

Here you go. I have a 09 Coupe too

gtferrari 10-10-2012 11:57 AM

reboot the system. check for updates at syncmyride.com check the wired connection

Mitch12 10-10-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I have so far loved my focus coupe and this is very upsetting. It does seem that they must have messed with the wiring somehow. I just want to make sure I know exactly what to accuse them of before I go back. I took a picture of what it currently looks like, you can see the area on the back where it seems something should be plugged in. Thanks for that pic of your coupe mirror, mine doesn't seem to have that wire plugged into the back. Does this mean that they have removed the wire and perhaps forgot/on purpose didn't put it back? Do you really think they would have moved it to the headliner?

I havn't tried a reset or anything of the sync. However, it works great just can't in every other way, just can't hear me..so a reset doesn't seem like it would help?

Please check out the pic and continue to help.

I'm sorry I don't know how to put the pic on, the only option is to insert a URL but its a file on my computer...

Thanks!

Minchkin 10-10-2012 03:26 PM

From the sound of it, they probably didn't know what it was for, so they decided to stuff the cord in the headliner when they went to put the window back on. I would just take it back to them with the picture and say,"Hey, look. My cars voice activation isn't working now, and where has this cord gone to?"

Also, to upload a picture, you can go to Photobucket and upload a picture there. After uploading it, you can usualy find a [img] code. Just copy and paste that code here. It is usualy just a URL with the [img] and [/img] tags around it.

Mitch12 10-10-2012 03:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for the help. I emailed them the pictures (because they are a long ways away). Turns out the cords were tucked into the headliner and they forgot to plug them back in. I located them, plugged them in, and it works great. And a special thanks for the picture of what it is supposed to look like..saved the day

Thanks!

Minchkin 10-10-2012 05:27 PM

You are welcome! You can learn a ton about your Focus if you browse the Duratec forums and here.

FordIVTteam 10-11-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch12 (Post 4396804)
Hello there, this is my first post on here so first off apologize if anything is wrong. Ok, I have a 09 Ford Focus coupe SES which I bought used this summer. Sync worked great. I just had the windows tinted, including a 'visor strip' on the front windshield. Ever since this (yesterday) the Sync system will not head my voice at all. It seems clearly a microphone issue. I dont think the tint could somehow be blocking the microphone. Am I correct in that the mic is located in the rear view mirror? Could the tint affect it? or is it more likely the installers somehow broke/damaged/stole the mic? the mirror was twisted all the way down when I got my car back. I can't see much wrong however there is a whole on the back where something seems like it should be plugged in and nothing is plugged in. However, I have no idea if anything was ever plugged in there or if that is something different/extra.
Thanks for your help!
Mitch

Hey, Mitch -

Welcome to the forum! [welcome] I'm happy to see the gang was able to help you out. I'm the In-Vehicle Technology girl on here. If you ever have SYNC, navigation, or MyFord Touch-related questions, give me a shout.

Jaclyn