Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Fuel spill when pumping gas (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299394)

Dark 007 10-08-2012 08:21 PM

Fuel spill when pumping gas

Recently when I pump gas, at about 3 gallons (I usually pump around 6 gallons) my gas tank does a "gagging reflex" like if It had a complete full tank. It only "gags" out just a small spill. At first I tought it was just a bad pump station, but when I switched from the usual station it still did it. If anything, my mpg seems to be just fine. Could it be signs of a bad fuel pump?!? or something else[?] [???:)]

jdetzel 10-09-2012 06:32 AM

Are you saying that gasoline comes back out of the fuel filler neck? Like on to your hand or the ground or onto your car.

05focusST91 10-09-2012 06:59 AM

It could be a clogged filler neck, if u have compressed air you can shoot air through and maybe free it up

Dark 007 10-09-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdetzel (Post 4394889)
Are you saying that gasoline comes back out of the fuel filler neck? Like on to your hand or the ground or onto your car.

Yes! thank you, that's exactly what I tried to explain.

Posted via iPhone using FF Mobile

Dark 007 10-09-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05focusST91 (Post 4394913)
It could be a clogged filler neck, if u have compressed air you can shoot air through and maybe free it up

That sounds like it could be the problem, but i'm interested on what could be clogging it. Dirt perhaps?!?... I shall try unclogging it with compressed air.

jdetzel 10-09-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark 007 (Post 4395804)
That sounds like it could be the problem, but i'm interested on what could be clogging it. Dirt perhaps?!?... I shall try unclogging it with compressed air.

If you force compressed air in then you will be forcing flammable fuel vapor back out - I do not think that is a good idea.
When you add fuel air needs to escape from the tank. To do this there is a vent tube that usually runs alongside the filler pipe. I think either the filler pipe is kinked or the vent tube is blocked.
I would call a Ford dealer service department or a good independent repair shop, describe what is happening and ask if they have heard of it before.

05focusST91 10-09-2012 05:50 PM

Usually spiderwebs

Dark 007 10-10-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdetzel (Post 4395928)
If you force compressed air in then you will be forcing flammable fuel vapor back out - I do not think that is a good idea.
When you add fuel air needs to escape from the tank. To do this there is a vent tube that usually runs alongside the filler pipe. I think either the filler pipe is kinked or the vent tube is blocked.
I would call a Ford dealer service department or a good independent repair shop, describe what is happening and ask if they have heard of it before.

Now that you mentioned it could probably be clogged, because my fuel compartment cap locking machenisim (the one attached to the car's body) is broken. With that said, the filler pipe DOES get exposed to dirt, snow, leafs and even "spider webs". Thanks! I'll pass on forcing compressed air. And I'll shall contact my local Ford dealer service department, and get a second opinion from my mechanic.

a_2000_se 10-10-2012 03:50 PM

There is a roll over valve in the tank to prevent fuel from spilling if you ever crashed and rolled your car. Maybe it is stuck, but it is probably debris as mentioned especially if you don't have a gas cap.

Dark 007 10-10-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_2000_se (Post 4397948)
There is a roll over valve in the tank to prevent fuel from spilling if you ever crashed and rolled your car. Maybe it is stuck, but it is probably debris as mentioned especially if you don't have a gas cap.

Fortunately, I haven't rolled the car. But I'm hoping it is debris and nothing serious. I shall take it in for inspection as soon as I get the chance.