Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   DCT: Burning clutch smell inside cabin (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299368)

narkotskyb 10-08-2012 04:00 PM

DCT: Burning clutch smell inside cabin

Hi,

Just curious how many experienced an absolutely clear burning clutch smell while driving Foci with DCT? Mine usually did that (until I disabled TCS) on any prolonged uphill drive, generally shifting between 6-5-4 in different variations.

How about you guys?

Peter[scratch]

DayGlow 10-08-2012 05:34 PM

Strange poll with no options.

No burning clutch here

VectorZ 10-08-2012 05:41 PM

Where's the poll? No smell.

suss6052 10-08-2012 05:45 PM

[headbang]
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayGlow (Post 4394104)
Strange poll with no options.

No burning clutch here

Quote:

Originally Posted by VectorZ (Post 4394114)
Where's the poll? No smell.

Op hasn't had enough posts or time on the forum to be able to post the poll, that's why it isn't showing up at the moment even if they created one.

craigsfocus 10-08-2012 06:58 PM

I get the smell only under two conditions. I give it the beans when passing someone or climbing a hill and when I drive it fast. [driving] All which to me is within reason considering the load I put on those clutch disks. I noticed the smell faintly, outside of the car, when I first drove the car when it had 12 miles on it. Put thats because the clutches weren't bedded in. I now have 17k miles on my Focus.

hotleadsingerguy 10-08-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigsfocus (Post 4394224)
I get the smell only under two conditions. I give it the beans when passing someone or climbing a hill and when I drive it fast. [driving] All which to me is within reason considering the load I put on those clutch disks. I noticed the smell faintly, outside of the car, when I first drove the car when it had 12 miles on it. Put thats because the clutches weren't bedded in. I now have 17k miles on my Focus.

Beyond the initial break-in it should never smell like burning clutch. It's not an actual manual transmission...and the computer should not be able to destroy the clutches. It would be ludicrous and a legal nightmare if the computer didn't protect the clutches.

zehkaiser 10-08-2012 09:44 PM

Every now and then I smell something funny (only driven automatics). I suspected the clutches, as it happened once when I had to get on it to keep from getting run over, and now occasionally while driving up my driveway. I assumed that because it is a sealed transmission that I wouldn't be able to smell it, but now that I've read this I can only guess I HAVE been smelling the clutches.

I don't usually smell it if I have to get on it anymore, but my driveway is like climbing the Rockies. I can only climb at about 5 MPH without hitting a bump and bottoming out, so the car plays this fun game called "ride the clutch." Really makes me wish I'd bought a manual... I'd rather stall every now and then than burn up a clutch by driving up a driveway every day.

GoldenHour 10-09-2012 12:05 AM

No smell and I am currently on a road trip of the California alps [8D].

FordService 10-09-2012 09:36 AM

Hey folks!

If it smells like your clutch is burning, please make an appointment at your dealership ASAP. If you need additional assistance or have questions, please reach out to me via PM.

Thanks everyone!
Crystal [thumb]

cbdallas 10-09-2012 10:40 AM

Interesting that I stumbled upon this thread today. Mine did this yesterday. Nothing out-of-the ordinary during my commute home, other than passing a couple of slow-asses in the left lane, but that's normal. STRONG smell of burning clutch as I put it in the garage. Lord I hope mine's not developing problems after 1700 miles of nearly perfect operation.

I'm not going to bother taking it in unless it persists. If I take it in smelling normally, they're not going to do anything anyway....and I don't want to go through a flash and re-learn if it's not necessary.