Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Synthetic oils (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299322)

felixthecat 10-08-2012 07:40 AM

Synthetic oils
 
So whats the story w/ Pennzoil advertising their ultra/ platinum synthetic oil runs cleaner than Mobil 1/ Valvoline synpower/ Castrol edge w/ syntec? Do they have more detergents in their oil over the other's or what?

md2009 10-08-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4393048)
So whats the story w/ Pennzoil advertising their ultra/ platinum synthetic oil runs cleaner than Mobil 1/ Valvoline synpower/ Castrol edge w/ syntec? Do they have more detergents in their oil over the other's or what?

Well. I would say they do have a better advertising budget...

But in all seriousness, there are a couple of ways to approach this subject.

First - would could look at virgin oil analysis (VOA) and determine what they are using for additives. The plus side is that we would have an idea of what is going into the oils. The down side is that a "good" VOA may not translate to a good oil analysis - meaning the oil may show good properties during the clean analysis but may have the same (or worse) wear as a differently formulated oil. Finally, there are some additives which may not show up during a VOA. Most famously is Valvoline, which seems to use some additives which don't show up during VOAs. Yet, somehow people still seem to get decent oil analysis out of these oils... so is it a lack of additives, or just different additives? Only the scientists with the proprietary information will ever know..

Second - oil analysis. Run theirs for 8500 and then sample, then run mobil 1 for 8500 and sample. Its not 100% scientific, but it does give a CLOSER idea of which oil is working better.

felixthecat 10-09-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2009 (Post 4394027)
Well. I would say they do have a better advertising budget...

But in all seriousness, there are a couple of ways to approach this subject.

First - would could look at virgin oil analysis (VOA) and determine what they are using for additives. The plus side is that we would have an idea of what is going into the oils. The down side is that a "good" VOA may not translate to a good oil analysis - meaning the oil may show good properties during the clean analysis but may have the same (or worse) wear as a differently formulated oil. Finally, there are some additives which may not show up during a VOA. Most famously is Valvoline, which seems to use some additives which don't show up during VOAs. Yet, somehow people still seem to get decent oil analysis out of these oils... so is it a lack of additives, or just different additives? Only the scientists with the proprietary information will ever know..

Second - oil analysis. Run theirs for 8500 and then sample, then run mobil 1 for 8500 and sample. Its not 100% scientific, but it does give a CLOSER idea of which oil is working better.

I have been using Mobil 1 for yrs, then the Pennzoil guys say their stuff is cleanest synthetic out there. I guess I'll stick to Mobil 1.

amc49 10-21-2012 11:03 PM

Misplaced self aggrandizing useless blather............who cares how clean the oil runs?

Modern oils run so clean that even the conventional non-synthetic ones leave engines clean as a whistle inside even after 150K+ miles.

Analyze the oil???

This would be like bitching about 2/10th of a degree of error in a front end alignment when the tires will never know it, although there are those here who do that aplenty too.

Quite simply a total waste of time.

felixthecat 10-23-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 4416530)
Misplaced self aggrandizing useless blather............who cares how clean the oil runs?

Modern oils run so clean that even the conventional non-synthetic ones leave engines clean as a whistle inside even after 150K+ miles.

Analyze the oil???

This would be like bitching about 2/10th of a degree of error in a front end alignment when the tires will never know it, although there are those here who do that aplenty too.

Quite simply a total waste of time.

The Pennzoil people are saying that their oil cleans out your motor more than others. And w/ that I was wondering if they, Pennzoil has more detergents or what, thats all. No big deal, I just see the adds in a lot of magzines.

cbdallas 10-23-2012 10:00 AM

I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra only because of the lower NOACK numbers. 6.4% vs 11% for Mobil1. The low NOACK numbers are better for D.I. engines. Not really concerned with the 'cleanliness', as pretty much any syn will keep parts as clean as they need to be.

qweesy 10-23-2012 03:20 PM

[:)][:)][:)][:)] Penzoil and their wax base "candle stick" oil BS same with Quaker state , Mobil 1 or Amsoil are best

voortrek3 10-23-2012 03:33 PM

I like the MOTORCRAFT full syn.

md2009 10-23-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc49 (Post 4416530)
Analyze the oil???

Quite simply a total waste of time.

If you find no value in an oil analysis, you are either uneducated as to the purpose of the analysis or uneducated as to how to read an analysis. There is valuable information to be had.

Notice I said uneducated and not ignorant. If you are willfully ignorant of the advantages to oil analysis then I cannot help you.

I do suggest you educated yourself on the subject before painting that broad stroke. Otherwise you’re being just ignorant.

amc49 10-25-2012 11:21 PM

Thank you.

Look at a dictionary for the definition of the word 'value', it means getting something of higher worth for lesser cost. I do not consider oil analysis to be of great 'value' to the common man even though I know what it does. It costs too much to show things that can be logically deduced without the added cost. There are enough facts in books out there to make plenty educated 'guesses', you might say, that will have excellent outcomes in 99.5% of the cases without the need for splitting atoms on the oil. Very close to the arguing that goes onsite here all day long about say 2/10ths of a degree error in computer alignments, quite simply wasted time there too. I can say that having worked on thousands of vehicles including some pretty high output ones and simply never needed to analyze oil. Gotta wonder how the world ever kept spinning without it in the old days don't you?

Now, if I were in control of a fleet, maybe, but on a single owner vehicle, no way. I've got Bobtheoilguy for that. Being able to read is a far better value than analyzing oil.

Broad stroke? I submit that since most DON'T do it, it REQUIRES a broad stroke, there's far more of us than of you (those who seem to consider it necessary and of high value).....................

Value?

Here's some. I use conventional oil at 7500 miles oil changes, the last 5 cars I've bought are still running fine, I can't seem to break them. Collectively 850,000+ miles there and not one analysis, no synthetic oil either. If I go under valve covers the motors are clean as a whistle. Someone tell me how much money I've saved to do other things with.........................................that's value jack.

Not 'willfully ignorant', I have just tuned oil analysis out as nice but not necessary in my world. I do take note also that all the OEMs do not require it to maintain warranties either. I'm just taking the same leap of faith they do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.