Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   AEM...worst or maybe best (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299180)

Benchpress260 10-06-2012 01:39 AM

AEM...worst or maybe best
 
Why did AEM only get 4 hp from their air intake when they dyno'd it and every other aftermarket intake seems to be double those numbers? Any theories or ideas? This is a true cold air intake...just doesn't make sense. Seems to me that this should outperform all others.

Also, has anyone tried this intake and also cut some holes in that grill where the filter would be facing? This could really make things interesting. It might introduce some water issues, but could always run a waterproof pre-filter.

Chaos09 10-06-2012 02:28 AM

If you use the search option you can find what you are looking for. A couple of people here are using the AEM.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&highlight=aem

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&highlight=aem

mikebontoft 10-06-2012 02:38 AM

probably because they took an actual gain from it... my guess anyway. Everyone else seems to take the lowest base and the highest gain and make it their claimed increase.

TheGlassMaker 10-06-2012 02:42 AM

I'm thinking about buying a AEM for my zetec. Got a guy wanting to sell me his for $50. I think i'm going for it.

Benchpress260 10-06-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-Focus (Post 4390000)
If you use the search option you can find what you are looking for. A couple of people here are using the AEM.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&highlight=aem

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&highlight=aem

Seen those before, appreciate response, but unfortunately those threads don't directly answer my original questions.

Bwill9886 10-06-2012 12:41 PM

I believe someone or a few people in those threads said AEM admitted that those numbers are not correct. Don't remember what they said regarding correcting what they have posted.

Also, if you searched, you'd find a few people have modified the side grill and routed tubing from the stock airbox to it. One would assume the AEM could benefit from this as well.

Someone has also claimed there will be an aftermarket option for that side grill available at some point that would be functional and better looking than cutting out the stock piece.

Benchpress260 10-06-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwill9886 (Post 4390476)
I believe someone or a few people in those threads said AEM admitted that those numbers are not correct. Don't remember what they said regarding correcting what they have posted.

I looked through both those threads with a fine tooth comb and didn't see it in there. I only saw where one person, just like me, had speculated that the numbers were off. Now, what would be very interesting is if AEM actually admitted it but still left the low numbers on their website. Can anyone actually confirm that AEM said that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwill9886 (Post 4390476)
Also, if you searched, you'd find a few people have modified the side grill and routed tubing from the stock airbox to it. One would assume the AEM could benefit from this as well..

I realize people hack these grills up for the "stock" airbox. I'm looking for some feedback on how folks think this mod would work for the "AEM" unit since the actual filter would now be so close to the modded grill and might introduce some water issues. I'm not necessarily concerned with hydrolock...think that would be highly unlikely. But I would be concerned with the filter constantly being exposed to moisture. Thoughts?

Justintoxicated 10-10-2012 10:31 PM

only 4hp? I doubt other filters are actually gaining more that 4hp... The nice thing about AEM is that they filter very well, K&N's do not.

dyn085 10-10-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justintoxicated (Post 4398658)
only 4hp? I doubt other filters are actually gaining more that 4hp... The nice thing about AEM is that they filter very well, K&N's do not.

I'm getting more than 4hp on just a K&N drop-in and snorkel-delete, let alone what others have been getting with the Typhoon or Steeda intakes.

I'm more inclined to believe that the AEM is getting more than 4hp, but that AEM erred on the side of caution in the publication of their numbers.

Justintoxicated 10-10-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyn085 (Post 4398805)
I'm getting more than 4hp on just a K&N drop-in and snorkel-delete, let alone what others have been getting with the Typhoon or Steeda intakes.

I'm more inclined to believe that the AEM is getting more than 4hp, but that AEM erred on the side of caution in the publication of their numbers.

thats with the delete though ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp