Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Possible fix for automatic wipers? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299174)

feta_mgp 10-06-2012 12:52 AM

Possible fix for automatic wipers?

So I've been wondering, with all the parts that the Focus and Escape now share interior-wise... is it possible they share the rain-sensor as well? I know that folks have mentioned the Escape auto-wipers work like they're supposed to, and we all know the Focus certainly doesn't all the time... if it's the same or possibly plug-n-play... might make a difference.

Some quick google searching got me nowhere, so I figured I'd throw the idea up on here.

dbenney 10-06-2012 08:12 AM

about the only thing i can think of is to either call dealer or look it up online to get part numbers to make sure they are different. hopefully there is a pic to compare. Anything is possible but may have to mod a bit.

feta_mgp 10-06-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbenney (Post 4390082)
about the only thing i can think of is to either call dealer or look it up online to get part numbers to make sure they are different. hopefully there is a pic to compare. Anything is possible but may have to mod a bit.

Yeah I'll dive into some part number searching when I'm home from work today. A little modding would be worth it to me if the sensor worked well. Mine has gotten a lot better (seemingly) since I got the car, but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

cobie56 10-06-2012 01:18 PM

i can't stand the auto wipers as they don't work as I think they should.. perhaps ford things they work well but i don't... i just turn them off.... It''s the first time i've had auto wipers on a car and frankly i won't ever get them again if i can help it... I mean really... im already sitting there and it's no great effort to turn the wipers on manually or give the wiper stalk a quick yank for a one time windscreen swipe....

paul21 10-06-2012 02:51 PM

Mine don't work like they're supposed to. I might just disconnect the sensor and go manual, the system fails over so you can choose.

feta_mgp 10-06-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobie56 (Post 4390445)
i can't stand the auto wipers as they don't work as I think they should.. perhaps ford things they work well but i don't... i just turn them off.... It''s the first time i've had auto wipers on a car and frankly i won't ever get them again if i can help it... I mean really... im already sitting there and it's no great effort to turn the wipers on manually or give the wiper stalk a quick yank for a one time windscreen swipe....

I agree but don't let them dissuade you from ever purchasing another vehicle with them. My previous Mazdaspeed 3 had auto-wipers and boy was it a luxury. I know it's not difficult to do it yourself, but they adjusted perfectly to changing rain conditions, it really was convenient.

Timthom62 10-06-2012 06:58 PM

It's odd, but I haven't had any complaints about the rain sensing wipers on my SEL at all. Where I live it rains eight months out of the year - and goes through pretty much every permutation of precipitation imaginable in the process - and once I got the sensitivity dialed in they have been perfect for me.

According to the service manual, a failed (or disconnected) rain sensor will revert the wipers to standard intermittent wiper operation with the sensitivity control thumbwheel becoming the intermittent delay control. I guess that's always an option.

dbenney 10-06-2012 10:52 PM

mine also seem to work ok... i guess not the best but, i do notice them coming on right when i start thinking about doing it manually.

Dysan911 10-07-2012 11:22 AM

No complaints with mine either. Its about the ONLY thing that seems to be working as intended.

Focus YBTC 10-07-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timthom62 (Post 4390861)
It's odd, but I haven't had any complaints about the rain sensing wipers on my SEL at all. Where I live it rains eight months out of the year - and goes through pretty much every permutation of precipitation imaginable in the process - and once I got the sensitivity dialed in they have been perfect for me.

Same here, mine work fine. I thought they were dodgy though before adjusting the sensitivity as needed.