Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   please help! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299112)

yellow_focus_tim 10-05-2012 10:28 AM

please help!

ok so recently out of no where my car starting to make a weird knocking noise. it only happens in neutral when my foot in not on the clutch. i was told it might be a bad throw out bearing but i just replaced the whole clutch kit. it stops as soon as i put my foot on the clutch. i have no clue what it is unless defective throwout bearing.

Minchkin 10-05-2012 11:42 AM

Mine does it too. Worries me also. But it seems to have no adverse affects. Mine has been doing it for 20k miles.

yellow_focus_tim 10-06-2012 07:53 PM

its been doing tg since ive replaced my clutch kit. like
it never did it till the
Posted via FF Mobile

sleepyboy 10-06-2012 07:58 PM

Mine's done it's whole life. Maybe your just now noticing it? I do know some are very loud with no apparent problems and others are super quiet. Mine was real loud but went away when the clutch was changed and now it only does sometimes. It's kind of weird how at times it's loud and other times I don't hear it at all or I'm not listening for it. I dunno it's just weird. If the clutch functions fine then I would worry about it unless it's super loud. Then you probably would want to go get it checked out by the shop that put it in. SVT's are notorious for making this noise. Not that that has anything to do with it, just wanted to throw that out there. It's has something to do with the throw out bearing/slave cylinder and the pressure plate. I guess sometimes there is a little bit of play in them?

badazz2010focus 10-06-2012 08:11 PM

clutch over run mine does it too.

yellow_focus_tim 10-07-2012 10:03 AM

Yea I mean it seems to drive fine but its still loud and obnoxious

whynotthinkwhynot 10-07-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow_focus_tim (Post 4388522)
ok so recently out of no where my car starting to make a weird knocking noise. it only happens in neutral when my foot in not on the clutch. i was told it might be a bad throw out bearing but i just replaced the whole clutch kit. it stops as soon as i put my foot on the clutch. i have no clue what it is unless defective throwout bearing.

If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain this....

First off- did you replace the slave cylinder when you did the clutch? I always recommend that people replace the slave cylinder when doing a clutch. 1) it's a plastic part, 2) the release bearing will be glued to it possibly preventing rattling for some time.

What you're hearing is the release bearing rattling between the pressure plate forks and the slave cylinder. That's why it goes away when you press the clutch in. There's nothing wrong with the release bearing or the rest of the clutch or even the slave cylinder. Bad release bearings make a screaming sound when you press the clutch. The distance it's moving to make the rattle is hundredths of inches. I would rather have a release bearing that isn't making constant contact with the pressure plate than one that is. Of course, I'd really like to have one that doesn't rattle or contact the pressure plate at rest [thumb] Mine has been rattling for about 100k miles now.

If the slave cylinder is replaced at the same time as the rest of the clutch, then you end up throwing away the release bearing that comes with the clutch because one will be glued to the slave. Sometimes the glue lasts for years, and sometimes it separates in a few hours. Who knows why it lasts longer or not. I wish I did know, maybe you could either remove the release bearing from a new slave cylinder, then glue on the one that comes with the kit, or simply add some glue to it.

Some day I'll be able to get a few thousand off the price of a used Focus because of this sound [hihi]