Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   3000 RPM/70 MPH Engine Drone (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298991)

Vegoose 10-03-2012 09:57 AM

3000 RPM/70 MPH Engine Drone

Forgive the several noob questions. I just purchased an '06 Focus as a commuter car and it's been along time since I owned a 4cyl engine. Plus, I'm a bit (ok, alot) OCD so strange noises, rattles and buzzing drives me to my xanax stash...

I've noticed that my Focus has alot of engine drone - almost a "booming" sound at around 3000 RPM. It's especially noticeable on the highway, right around 70-75 mph (my typical commute speed). This engine drone sound is far louder than any road or wind noise. It is definitely engine noise - if I put the vehicle in neutral (5 speed manual) at that speed the noise goes away instantly.

This does not seem normal to me and I'm looking for suggestions. I searched "engine drone" and found some references to the passenger side engine mount. I've checked it and it doesn't appear to be leaking, plus the car has only 59k miles on it. Help! Any comments or advice appreciated.

Malibooya 10-03-2012 02:11 PM

Sound clip perhaps?

3000RPM is pretty noisy in these cars.

S0C0nFused 10-04-2012 01:26 AM

Also, Are you inferring a sympathetic harmonic, or just the exhaust note/volume?

sam fisher 10-04-2012 01:42 AM

Mine drones worst at around 3000

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using FF Mobile

Focusblackzx5 10-04-2012 10:02 AM

yeah at 3k rpm it does a big drone on mine. have the steeda intake and resonator delete exhaust.

it sounds all the time. exept when I run it at 65 mph at 2.5k rpm, the road noise is a bit louder than my (engine-intake-exhaust)^^

Does your car has an intake ? or aftermarket exhaust ?

Vegoose 10-04-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0C0nFused (Post 4386398)
Also, Are you inferring a sympathetic harmonic, or just the exhaust note/volume?

I would say it sounds more like a harmonic. At lower mph, but the same engine RPM, the sound is not as loud. I've check out the exhaust system and cant see any obvious leaks. The car has spent its entire life in Las Vegas so rust/corrosion isn't an issue.

I also noticed that small bumps cause the noise to go away for a moment, which is making me wonder if the motor mount is the issue. Maybe when I hit a bump it allows the engine to rise up in the passenger side mount and the noise is reduced?

Vegoose 10-04-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 (Post 4386790)
yeah at 3k rpm it does a big drone on mine. have the steeda intake and resonator delete exhaust.

it sounds all the time. exept when I run it at 65 mph at 2.5k rpm, the road noise is a bit louder than my (engine-intake-exhaust)^^

Does your car has an intake ? or aftermarket exhaust ?

No, the car is dead stock. I just bought it to be a daily driver, instead of my Ford diesel truck (diesel is about $4.25 gal out here).

I have been reading up on the "lifetime air filter" and thinking about replacing it. Seems like a funky system to me.

freemind 10-04-2012 03:39 PM

How worn are your tires? What brand are they?

Outside of that, is it more on one side or the other?

S0C0nFused 10-04-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegoose (Post 4387283)
I would say it sounds more like a harmonic. At lower mph, but the same engine RPM, the sound is not as loud.

I would speculate that your issue is almost certainly your tires. What brand and mileage?

Vegoose 10-07-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S0C0nFused (Post 4387812)
I would speculate that your issue is almost certainly your tires. What brand and mileage?

The tires are brand new Barum Bravarius. The previous owner changed them just before I bought the car. They seem like cheaper tires, but I can't see how the noise could be related to tires/bearings/etc. If I take the car out of gear at 70mph and let the RPM's drop to idle the noise goes away instantly. It is clearly related to the engine - some kind of harmonic drone. It's kind of a low frequency drone that actually hurts my ears a bit.

I ordered a new passenger side motor mount from Tousley Ford. I'll post if that makes any difference.