Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Hatchback door rattling (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298904)

nseah 10-02-2012 08:05 AM

Hatchback door rattling

2012 focus hatchback with the 10 speaker sony system. Anyone notice the door panels rattling when listening to music?

For me, my rear left door panel (behind drivers) starts to rattle when the volume is pushed to close to 1/4 (going to the first big tick mark on the MFT screen). If i sit in the back and push the panel by the rear tweeter the rattling goes away. Again this only happens when music is playing that has some bass to it.

Anyone know a solution to this? ford dealer claims they can't replicate the problem and won't let me show them, but its annoying when your driving. Should I look at removing the door panel?

cheekedave 10-02-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nseah (Post 4382999)
2012 focus hatchback with the 10 speaker sony system. Anyone notice the door panels rattling when listening to music?

For me, my rear left door panel (behind drivers) starts to rattle when the volume is pushed to close to 1/4 (going to the first big tick mark on the MFT screen). If i sit in the back and push the panel by the rear tweeter the rattling goes away. Again this only happens when music is playing that has some bass to it.

Anyone know a solution to this? ford dealer claims they can't replicate the problem and won't let me show them, but its annoying when your driving. Should I look at removing the door panel?

I have the exact same problem. Same door panel. I was about to yank it out this weekend and possibly throw some dynamat in or something temp. to see if it goes away. None of the other doors seem to rattle for me. I have an appointment at the dealer this weekend and I was going to bring it up to them to see what they say/do. If all else fails, thats when I will yank it open myself. I will let you know how it turns out!

Drew'sFoci 10-02-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nseah (Post 4382999)

I have a 13' with the Sony package and it also rattles, even with the radio off! With the radio on I found the source of that rattle is the license plate! But I still can't pinpoint the rattle with the radio off!

TehMark 10-02-2012 08:51 AM

I lot of people have that rattle and it is pretty damn annoying. I took mine in once to fix it and it was gone for about 4 months. Came back again. Grrr. Someday I'll rip the door off myself and stick some dynamat in it.

nseah 10-02-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekedave (Post 4383021)
I have the exact same problem. Same door panel. I was about to yank it out this weekend and possibly throw some dynamat in or something temp. to see if it goes away. None of the other doors seem to rattle for me. I have an appointment at the dealer this weekend and I was going to bring it up to them to see what they say/do. If all else fails, thats when I will yank it open myself. I will let you know how it turns out!

That's how I feel about mine too. Getting to the point where I just want to rip it off! Let me know what your dealer says.

nseah 10-02-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci (Post 4383037)
I have a 13' with the Sony package and it also rattles, even with the radio off! With the radio on I found the source of that rattle is the license plate! But I still can't pinpoint the rattle with the radio off!

I had rattling with the radio off as well, but it was at the dash where the MFT screen is. See if yours is coming from there as well. My solution was to stick strips of rubberbands between where the actual screen and the plastic border meet (theres a 1mm gap). I used a creditcard to jam the rubberbands in there and now it's stopped rattling.

Drew'sFoci 10-02-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nseah (Post 4383053)
I had rattling with the radio off as well, but it was at the dash where the MFT screen is. See if yours is coming from there as well. My solution was to stick strips of rubberbands between where the actual screen and the plastic border meet (theres a 1mm gap). I used a creditcard to jam the rubberbands in there and now it's stopped rattling.

sounds good, ill have to give it a whirl tonight and see the results. I hope its that, when you had the rattle, did it kinda sound like it was coming from the head liner almost right above your head?[woot]

nseah 10-02-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci (Post 4383081)
sounds good, ill have to give it a whirl tonight and see the results. I hope its that, when you had the rattle, did it kinda sound like it was coming from the head liner almost right above your head?[woot]

Oh no your rattling is coming from the liner they use on the head panel. I didn't have that issue but it's a pretty common one. Id recommend searching the forum for that topic because I have no idea what the fix is for that.

SydneyRoo 10-02-2012 10:56 AM

Last year, I had a metallic rattling in the driver's door, only happened with a bit of bass.
Took it in to the Ford dealer for them to look at, they tightened some bolts on the door (ie, they did nothing), but the rattle was still there.

I took the door panel off myself (what a pain in the ass that was) and lo and behold there was a small metal mounting tab rattling against the speaker. It didn't appear to belong to anything so I removed it. Problem solved. Probably an isolated case though with spare parts rattling in the door.

nseah 10-02-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SydneyRoo (Post 4383187)
Last year, I had a metallic rattling in the driver's door, only happened with a bit of bass.
Took it in to the Ford dealer for them to look at, they tightened some bolts on the door (ie, they did nothing), but the rattle was still there.

I took the door panel off myself (what a pain in the ass that was) and lo and behold there was a small metal mounting tab rattling against the speaker. It didn't appear to belong to anything so I removed it. Problem solved. Probably an isolated case though with spare parts rattling in the door.

You don't happen to have directions on removing the door panels do you? Ford doesn't really do anything for me, Im just going to do it myself.