Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Rough Idle P0171 code? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298885)

MotoX787 10-01-2012 09:18 PM

Rough Idle P0171 code?

I'm wanting to change my speed sensor so I've been trying to get the pin out lately with no luck and I used seafoam in my gas and intake a couple days ago. I went to go start my car the other day and it shakes really bad and has very little power and is doing terrible on gas. It's throwing the code for "system too lean- Bank 1". I have no idea whats going on with it now. Plus there's like some kind of soot on the valve cover by the 2nd cylinder from the left it's black which indicates some kind of smoke/ exhaust coming out where the plug is, I pulled the plug and it was black but all of my other plugs are normal looking and they're only like 2 months old. Can anyone give me any idea what to look for I'm sure driving my car like this is not good for it lol.[rant]

MotoX787 10-01-2012 09:19 PM

My motor is the 2.0 SPI junk engine by the way lol

iminhell 10-01-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoX787 (Post 4382531)
I'm wanting to change my speed sensor so I've been trying to get the pin out lately with no luck.

I used seafoam in my gas and intake a couple days ago. I went to start my car the other day and it shakes really bad, has very little power and is doing terrible on gas.
It's throwing the code for "system too lean- Bank 1". I have no idea whats going on with it now.

Plus there's like some kind of soot on the valve cover by the 2nd cylinder from the left. It's black which indicates some kind of smoke/ exhaust coming out where the plug is.
I pulled the plug and it was black. All of my other plugs are normal looking and they're only like 2 months old.

Can anyone give me any idea what to look for I'm sure driving my car like this is not good for it lol.[rant]

You don't need a pinout to replace a speed sensor.

Did you forget to hook the hose used to ingest the Seafoam back up?
Damage it in any way?
How much did you use?

The lean code could be related to using Seafoam and having the vacuum line disconnected.

Is this 'soot' on the front of back of the valve cover?
Front may indicate a leak at the manifold, gasket or maybe EGR tube.
Back may be a leak from the valve cover breather tube.

A black plug is indication of an overly rich condition or excessive oil burning.
Being you feel the car is down on power and the #2 plug is black, it would be a good idea to test compression in all cylinders, replacing the bad plug and testing all the plug wires.
If everything checks out good there, a fuel injector may be dirty and/or damaged on that cylinder. You can try swapping injectors around ans see if the problem follows the injector.

MotoX787 10-02-2012 07:05 PM

Also whole driving today the check engine light was flashing so I plugged in my scan tool and saw it was throwing the following 3 codes

Misfire in cylinder 2
P0204 - Open circuit in injector 4
P0001 - Something about Fuel pressure regulator

I'm no expert but I'm taking these codes as that I have a bad injector in the cylinder that is smoking? Can anybody make a diagnosis from everything I've explained? My gut is telling me to replace the injector in the bad cylinder, what do you guys think?

iminhell 10-02-2012 08:09 PM

Would sound about right.
I'd swap the injector first to rule out a wiring issue though. Could save $100 or so.

MotoX787 10-02-2012 10:25 PM

Now would it cause any further damage if I drove it to work tomorrow it's about 70 miles round trip but it's my only vehicle right now. I would rather not cause any further problems driving it like that though.

iminhell 10-02-2012 10:43 PM

I would try not to.
If it's a matter of keeping a job or not though, that's an obvious choice. Drive it.

The soot does make it sound like the plug isn't seating correctly though.
Double check them and make sure they're the correct part # ... I don't know if zetec and SPI plugs are the same, doubt it though.

MotoX787 10-02-2012 11:23 PM

Damn! Now I'm gonna be worried the entire drive to work tomorrow. Oh well I'll get it replaced tomorrow after work and I'll have my finger crossed there and back that nothing else happens to it[bawling]

MotoX787 10-02-2012 11:31 PM

Also since I will be driving it tomorrow should I unhook the plug wire or pull the plug on the injector for that cylinder? Someone told me that it would be a little safer not sure if they were right or not?

iminhell 10-03-2012 01:41 AM

I can see arguments for, saving the cylinder by keeping pressure down and such; and I can see arguments against, using more fuel, undue stress from abnormal TQ, etc.
I really don't want to pick a side here because I don't want to be wrong.
Either way something has to be fixed.
I kinda want to say that if it's held out this long, another day isn't going to kill it. But who knows, cars are fickle.

Just take it easy and don't strain the car too hard. Leave a little earlier than normal and drive a little slower if need be.