Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 Ford Focus Titanium Transmission Issues (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298825)

nmann4789 10-01-2012 09:44 AM

2012 Ford Focus Titanium Transmission Issues

So in March 2012 I purchased the Focus Titanium 6AM, and have been very impressed with the car up to this point. I do a lot of highway driving to and from work, so I've managed to rack up nearly 12,000 miles on the thing in only 6 months. I never had any issues with the transmission until now.

I've started to notice that when shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, there's a grinding noise that comes from the transmission. This has never happened before, and it only lasts while its actually shifting gears. Has anyone else experienced any issue like this? If so, what was done about it?

I've already dropped the car off to have it looked at, but I don't really trust dealerships, probably because I know very little about cars. Any info would be really helpful.

JimsFocus 10-01-2012 05:01 PM

Is this the noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ooz...ature=youtu.be

You could start reading here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260219

AlanDouglas 10-17-2012 07:37 PM

Transmission noise

Did anyone get resolution to the grinding noise issue?

It is difficult to recreate, so dealer has dismissed my issue as no issue or normal shuddering.

I can recreate the grinding regularly now and it sounds like the video above.

On a slight incline, decelerate from 40 mph to 30 mph, then accelerate slowly. there is load on the transmission from a slight incline and a grinding noise happens when the car tries to shift from a lower gear to higher.

Disturbing grinding as it sounds like damage is being done. It very occasionally occurs as well on left turns when transmission is under load accelerating.

If there is any fix, please advise.

Thx

FordService 10-18-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmann4789 (Post 4381417)
...I've started to notice that when shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, there's a grinding noise that comes from the transmission. This has never happened before, and it only lasts while its actually shifting gears...I've already dropped the car off to have it looked at, but I don't really trust dealerships, probably because I know very little about cars...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsFocus (Post 4382007)

Hi nmann4789,

As JimsFocus points out, you may want to check out some of the other threads where folks are discussing this issue. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate your case to your region's Customer Service Manager. Just reach out to me via PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, and daytime phone number. I'm on the case!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanDouglas (Post 4410699)
...On a slight incline, decelerate from 40 mph to 30 mph, then accelerate slowly. there is load on the transmission from a slight incline and a grinding noise happens when the car tries to shift from a lower gear to higher.

Disturbing grinding as it sounds like damage is being done. It very occasionally occurs as well on left turns when transmission is under load accelerating...

Hi AlanDouglas,

I would advise that you contact the fine folks at Ford of Canada. They'll be in the best position to assist you. You can reach them at 1-800-565-3673.

Thanks,
Crystal

jjessop 10-24-2012 02:33 PM

My Focus SE grinds like crazy in the first 3 gears now. It's so bad we could never even sell the car privately. What's even worse now is that it pops in and out of gear at random times.

Of course my dealer "The Ford Store" in San Leandro California has been no help at all. They told me "thousands of owners" are complaining and that if I'm that unhappy I should just Lemon Law the Car. Even the dealers have given up on the mess of a Car!

FordService 10-24-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjessop (Post 4421274)
My Focus SE grinds like crazy in the first 3 gears now. It's so bad we could never even sell the car privately. What's even worse now is that it pops in and out of gear at random times.

Of course my dealer "The Ford Store" in San Leandro California has been no help at all. They told me "thousands of owners" are complaining and that if I'm that unhappy I should just Lemon Law the Car. Even the dealers have given up on the mess of a Car!

Hi jjessop,

Have you considered going to a different Ford dealership for a second opinion? Some people have found it helpful and you may as well.

Please reach out to me via PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I want to investigate ways I can help.

Thanks!
Crystal

gpinnell 10-24-2012 05:22 PM

Welcome to the Ford Focus transmission. Been dealing with this problem for about a year now. Transmission computer has been reset once, recalled once and goes in for its final chance next week. Transmission slipping and shuddering in 1st and 2nd gear and when shifting around corners grinds. If no relief on this trip in the car goes. Best of luck!

FordService 10-25-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpinnell (Post 4421552)
Welcome to the Ford Focus transmission. Been dealing with this problem for about a year now. Transmission computer has been reset once, recalled once and goes in for its final chance next week. Transmission slipping and shuddering in 1st and 2nd gear and when shifting around corners grinds. If no relief on this trip in the car goes. Best of luck!

Hey there,

I'd like to get your regional customer service manager involved. Send me a PM with your VIN, estimated mileage, preferred servicing dealer, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll escalate your case and get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Crystal [driving]

gpinnell 10-25-2012 10:48 PM

I am not sure what a "PM" is. If it is a private message I do not see a button to send private messages. My commercial email is gpinnell@charter.net

FordService 10-26-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpinnell (Post 4424053)
I am not sure what a "PM" is. If it is a private message I do not see a button to send private messages. My commercial email is gpinnell@charter.net

Hi again,

If you click on FordCustomerService to the left, there will be an option to send a private message. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Crystal