Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   05' 2.3 ST with a few problems. Need guidance on where to begin... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298682)

bloostd 09-28-2012 07:54 PM

05' 2.3 ST with a few problems. Need guidance on where to begin...
 
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

I've got some issues with my 05 ST I purchased almost a year ago... The same issues since I bought it with. Hell 60k miles, ST with heated seats, for 4500- salvaged title. Car looks completely fine and was fixed inappropriately. Great DD.

Anyways, When I turn on my headlights with out without fog/ parking lights, all my cluster instrument lights go out. If I play with it, putting pressure on it, and turning it, I can get the lights to stay on while in parking light mode- but when you turn fully to headlights- boom, the lights on the cluster gauge/ hvac all go dead.

Whats the deal? What do I need to do or buy?

Next thing,
The E-Brake handle spring-push-button broke. It won't say locked. What part do I actually need? Can i just replaced the spring or do I need the whole part? Which part would that be?

3rd issue, HVAC controls. The blower only works in the 3 position. The rest of them do not. I'm guessing its the control switch?

4thly, What kind of maintenance should I do at 75k mile interval? I've replaced the brakes, and changed the oil- thats about it.

Anything I need to worry about?

Thanks guys!

Have a great weekend.[cheers]

Bret

bloostd 09-28-2012 10:48 PM

Come on people, It's the weekend. Time to work on this ole' Daily Driver. Don't want to bring out the Screaming Yellow ^__^

bloostd 09-29-2012 03:04 PM

any insight fellas?

SilverST05 09-29-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloostd (Post 4378221)
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

I've got some issues with my 05 ST I purchased almost a year ago... The same issues since I bought it with. Hell 60k miles, ST with heated seats, for 4500- salvaged title. Car looks completely fine and was fixed inappropriately. Great DD.

Anyways, When I turn on my headlights with out without fog/ parking lights, all my cluster instrument lights go out. If I play with it, putting pressure on it, and turning it, I can get the lights to stay on while in parking light mode- but when you turn fully to headlights- boom, the lights on the cluster gauge/ hvac all go dead.

Whats the deal? What do I need to do or buy?

Next thing,
The E-Brake handle spring-push-button broke. It won't say locked. What part do I actually need? Can i just replaced the spring or do I need the whole part? Which part would that be?

3rd issue, HVAC controls. The blower only works in the 3 position. The rest of them do not. I'm guessing its the control switch?

4thly, What kind of maintenance should I do at 75k mile interval? I've replaced the brakes, and changed the oil- thats about it.

Anything I need to worry about?

Thanks guys!

Have a great weekend.[cheers]


Bret


First problem sounds like the headlight switch needs replaced.

The E brake thing, I have no idea never tore apart an enrage handle, my guess is you would have to replace the entire handle assembly.

Problem 3 sounds exactly like a blower motor resister. I've sold plenty of these working at O'Reilly Auto parts. The resister has different wires with different resistance to produce the different speeds. But one, usually the high, has no resistance so when the part goes bad the one speed still works.

As far as maintenance, I would say spark plugs. I just put in Autolite XP Iridiums and have had good luck with them in my 05 ST. I would say maybe a fuel filter. Other than that making sure tires stay inflated properly.

Good luck
Brian

whynotthinkwhynot 09-30-2012 09:22 AM

^^ I second that.

Adding that you should carefully inspect the coil boots- the rubber part that connects to the spark plug. Mine were bad around that time. The boot simply pulls off the coil- although it's easier if fold the plug end back past the coil first to break it loose. Look for cracks or other signs of obvious rubber failure. Boots cost about $5-8 each, and come with the spring and magnet inside. If you see any oil on the boots, then you need a valve cover gasket. Always install spark plugs with a dab of silver anti-seize on the threads.

bloostd 09-30-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverST05 (Post 4379665)
First problem sounds like the headlight switch needs replaced.

The E brake thing, I have no idea never tore apart an enrage handle, my guess is you would have to replace the entire handle assembly.

Problem 3 sounds exactly like a blower motor resister. I've sold plenty of these working at O'Reilly Auto parts. The resister has different wires with different resistance to produce the different speeds. But one, usually the high, has no resistance so when the part goes bad the one speed still works.

As far as maintenance, I would say spark plugs. I just put in Autolite XP Iridiums and have had good luck with them in my 05 ST. I would say maybe a fuel filter. Other than that making sure tires stay inflated properly.

Good luck
Brian

Thanks Brian,

Before I moved out to D.C. I changed the fuel filter at around 68k miles. Thing was completely pluggged. Sometimes I still get hard starts every now and then when I need to give it some gas. I've replaced the battery too.

Yes, time to look into some new times, this car sat salvaged for about 3 years. It was pretty nasty when I got it, but at the price. It was a steal, and it looks like a well taken care of 05' st. haha.
So you think the headlight switch is just the switch? not a ground? Errr. You're right. If it was a ground it wouldn't show me lights at all on cluster =D. Derp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4379955)
^^ I second that.

Adding that you should carefully inspect the coil boots- the rubber part that connects to the spark plug. Mine were bad around that time. The boot simply pulls off the coil- although it's easier if fold the plug end back past the coil first to break it loose. Look for cracks or other signs of obvious rubber failure. Boots cost about $5-8 each, and come with the spring and magnet inside. If you see any oil on the boots, then you need a valve cover gasket. Always install spark plugs with a dab of silver anti-seize on the threads.

Excellent!

Thanks for the tips. Motorcraft plugs and coils?

Next weekend I'll be doing all this stuff.

Where would you go for an Ebrake handle? and the HVAC switch/ headlight switch?

Thanks again

Bret

SilverST05 09-30-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4379955)
^^ I second that.

Adding that you should carefully inspect the coil boots- the rubber part that connects to the spark plug. Mine were bad around that time. The boot simply pulls off the coil- although it's easier if fold the plug end back past the coil first to break it loose. Look for cracks or other signs of obvious rubber failure. Boots cost about $5-8 each, and come with the spring and magnet inside. If you see any oil on the boots, then you need a valve cover gasket. Always install spark plugs with a dab of silver anti-seize on the threads.

Good call on the boots. I forgot I did that when I did the plugs. Really easy and fairly cheap for a little extra protection.

SilverST05 09-30-2012 12:48 PM

I would say Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. O'Reilly carries both. You probably just need boots, not coils. Coils can get expensive. I used the Borg Warner boots from O'Reilly but most will be about the same. Sorry I'm pimping O'Reillys cause that's where I work.

SilverST05 09-30-2012 12:51 PM

The headlight switch and blower resister would be available at O'Reillys :) or any parts place. The ebrake handle I'm guessing you would have to search online or salvage yards. Not on the aftermarket. And I'm doubtin the dealers would still carry it unless they are still using the same design.

bloostd 09-30-2012 05:58 PM

What kind of fuel economy are you getting in your 2.3l?
im getting like 250-300miles tank?
is it worth it to get Toms Tune? I had it on my SVTF.
This is just my daily driver.

thanks guys


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp