Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Rear Defrost Not De-Frosting! :-? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298572)

RogueSVT 09-27-2012 09:33 AM

Rear Defrost Not De-Frosting! :-?

My rear defroster on my 03 SVT is not working and with the cold months coming up, I need it too. I noticed that the dfrosting wire in the rear glass has spaces in it so the connectivety isnt complete. The fuses are alright as well as the switch. Im thinking a new rear window will solve the issue, and since I can get one super cheap from the local u-pull-it junk yard, im thinking I may just do that. Any input would be helpful. Thanks! [cheers]

elsolo 09-27-2012 10:53 AM

Yeah, if the trace wires that are attached to the glass are damaged, the defroster won't work because of the open circuit.

Replacement glass should fix that problem.

I haven't swapped that glass so I have no pointers, but I agree with your approach.

6SPD_soul 09-27-2012 07:03 PM

If the gaps are small, there are ways to fix it. For some reason I think I've heard that metallic nail polish works for it? That doesn't sound right now that I've typed it, but I'm positive that if the gaps are small it can be repaired. I'd research it and try that before getting into replacing glass.

In fact, if none of it is defrosting you might have a different problem. I think ordinarily when you get a break in the resistor grid, you just lose a section after the break because it's basically one big parallel circuit (with about a hundred legs) and each leg/line will work independently of the others.

MEJY1988 09-27-2012 08:28 PM

This might help: How to Repair Your Defroster Grids

RogueSVT 09-28-2012 11:51 AM

The car had tint on the rear window when I bought it which I removed, and alot of the metallic circuitry came with it. lol. I read that about the metallic nail polish working for small gaps, but if I did that, the whole window would be painted. haha. Looks like im gonna have to go ahead and replace the rear window. Any one know any tricks to removing the rear window? Thanks again.

6SPD_soul 09-28-2012 06:19 PM

Wasn't aware of the extent of damage, best of luck dude. No clue on getting the window out.

RogueSVT 09-28-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul (Post 4378065)
Wasn't aware of the extent of damage, best of luck dude. No clue on getting the window out.

Thanks. Maybe Ill go 'practice' at the junk yard first. haha

mikebontoft 09-28-2012 07:48 PM

well why not run some painters tape down in between each line? get it nece and even and go at it with the defroster grid repair.

that stuff is painted on anyway. ford actually sells (or sold) the stuff. it goes on like nail polish. check out permatex 15067

if you're not up for the work, a replacement window should work.

RogueSVT 10-07-2012 11:53 PM

[cheers]
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebontoft (Post 4378212)
well why not run some painters tape down in between each line? get it nece and even and go at it with the defroster grid repair.

that stuff is painted on anyway. ford actually sells (or sold) the stuff. it goes on like nail polish. check out permatex 15067

if you're not up for the work, a replacement window should work.

Ill def check that out, thanks [cheers] so is/was it a dealer only product?

Merrigan 10-08-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsolo (Post 4375646)

Replacement glass should fix that problem.

This!

My old 07 Taurus had the same issue. And after trying just about every option in the book I was ready to give up and bring the girl to a "specialized glass mechanic". It would have cost me $500ish. But I decided to check a scrap yard and bought a used rear wind shield. Cost me $50 if I remember right. I brought that and the Taurus to a mechanic friend. A couple hours later I had a "new" rear window and a working rear defrost.

This is what I reccomend. I bought a few different "rear defrost repair kits" at Canadian Tire, NAPA, and Walmart. None of them really done the job. But replacing the rear window done the trick. I know that this may seem extreme but it is seriously worth it!