Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Trans flush/filter change Worth the effort to DIY? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298570)

loki993 09-27-2012 09:07 AM

Trans flush/filter change Worth the effort to DIY?

Ok so my car is due for the Trans flush and I need to start thinking about getting this done before the winter. Problem is it seems like kind of a pain to do. I'm fine with the mechanical side of things and ?I have no problem working on my own car but this seems like it could be more hassle then its worth.

So what do you all think /do? Do you do it yourself, save the 150 and hope its all good or go with the dealer on this one and spend the 150 to make sure its been drained and refilled well?

elsolo 09-27-2012 10:50 AM

It's a piece of cake.
Ford won't pull the pan, they will just change the fluid.
I did mine last month, very easy:
1.) Jack up front end of car
2.) Disconnect trans cooler fitting at trans (by left front wheel)
3.) Stick disconnected hose into bucket or other container
4.) Start car, move shifter through the gears and back to Park, turn off car.
5.) Add replacement fluid down dipstick tube equal to what pumped out in #4
6.) Repeat 4+5 until you have pumped 7 quarts through, and it comes out clean.
7.) Reconnect cooler hose, recheck fluid level

loki993 09-27-2012 11:33 AM

I was a bit reluctant to do that as I was afraid of possibly running the trans dry. It doesn't sound too bad though your right.

What do I need to remove the trans cooler line? Ford Quick disconnect?

elsolo 09-27-2012 11:54 AM

just a open end wrench, it's like 18mm or so
I didn't use a flare wrench or anything specialized

emsvitil 09-27-2012 01:45 PM

I prefer dropping the pan and changing the filter.

You don't get all the fluid, but if you regularly do it; you'll be fine.

Plus you can clean all the stuff that sticks to the magnet which a flush won't get.

elsolo 09-27-2012 01:55 PM

I like to drop the pan to look inside for debris, but don't always bother.
It's about the same as cutting open a used oil filter.

Automatic transmission "filters" are also called "screens".
They don't really need changing unless there is a major problem creating debris.

You can drop the pan AND flush it completely.
Drop pan, refill trans, then pump it out, refill, etc.

loki993 09-27-2012 02:27 PM

I was thinking about doing both, but I guess if I don't have to I wont. Dont know

whynotthinkwhynot 09-27-2012 05:26 PM

The pan is most likely full of a sludge of fine metal shavings that will look like grey mud. It will be surrounding a magnet that is put on the pan for the purpose of holding on to the fine metal shavings. You must pull the magnet and clean it- then put it back on. You can only do this if you remove the pan.

Pumping the fluid out using the starter (don't start the engine) as described in one of our How-Tos is the easiest method. The old fashioned method is to remove the pan carefully and let the fluid drain out of one corner. You'll still have a little fluid in the pan using the pump out method, but not much. Definitely plan on having a kitty litter pan under it to protect your driveway, and allow it to tilt down in the lowest corner to drain before you remove all the bolts.

The filter just pulls off. It is held in place with a rubber O-ring. Do not mess with the wiring of the solenoids under the filter, but you should look at those and make sure that everything is connected. Sometimes those can pull out during filter removal.

amc49 09-28-2012 01:19 AM

Seems to me one could toast a starter using it that much but maybe that's just me. I never crank on one longer than 10 seconds.

whynotthinkwhynot 09-28-2012 05:28 AM

I think the pump rate is like 50 gpm. You don't have to crank on it for very long, and I never suggested that anyone crank their engine for longer than a few seconds. He can start it if he wants, but at 50 gpm, fluid will be everywhere. By using the starter- it is controlled.

LOL it's been so long that I forgot that he didn't take my advice not to start the engine. Here's the article FocusRun wrote.

How to change ATX Fluid and filter

It's fairly informative- and yes, use a plastic putty knife available at any parts store for less than $1. Ye old block o' wood and a hammer works good to get it started off there too.