Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Help appraise my Focus! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298520)

focusauto01 09-26-2012 06:44 PM

Help appraise my Focus!

Ok, well gas keeps going up and I decided that I'm about to convert my daily driver to a Toyota Prius Hybrid that's rated 55 city / 50 highway. I'm going to be selling my 2002 Ford Focus. I will give details below and tell me what you guys think I could get for it to a private seller.

2002 Ford Focus lx, 2.0 Split Port, Dark Blue in Color, No body damage / wrecks, no cosmetic or any running problems. Mileage 119,000

I've did the following to it over the past 2-3 Months and have receipts for almost everything with warranty on majority of the parts.

- New Fuel Filter
- New Air Filter
- New Synthetic Mobile 1 Oil & Filter
- New Synthetic Mobile 1 Transmission Oil & Filter
- New Spark Plugs
- New Plug Wires
- New Oxygen Sensor (Up Stream & Down Stream)
- New Tie Rod Ends (Left & Right)
- New Sway Bar End Links (Left & Right)
- New Driver Side Complete Axle
- New Driver Side Lower Control Arm w/ lower ball joint
- New Serpentine Belt
- New Power Steering Fluid
- Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaned
- New PCV Valve
- New Upper Strut Mounts (Left and Right)
- New Alignment

Also have good tires (85% ?), tinted windows, and cd player with a remote. Brakes were at 90% according to Firestone, after recent alignment.

Only defects on the car is the center console needs to be replaced. I am an auto tech student, and just enjoy working on cars. So I took really good care of this car, any time I had a problem it was fixed instantly. I maintainced nearly half the car trying to achieve my goal, of 33 mpg highway =]. Anyway it's time to part with the car, just looking for advice on a good asking price and final price to a private seller from you guys that have experience buying and selling these Focuses. I know the car is getting old, but it's well taken care of and I just want to maximize what I get for it, because all the money will be going towards purchasing a hybrid! Thanks for the help!

iminhell 09-26-2012 07:04 PM

$2,000 and no more.

The head is the big issue and being it hasn't been replaced it's about due to take a dive.

whynotthinkwhynot 09-26-2012 07:14 PM

Moved to Ford Focus and General Car Chat

General Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

DrkKnight614 09-26-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell (Post 4374642)
$2,000 and no more.

The head is the big issue and being it hasn't been replaced it's about due to take a dive.

Posted via FF Mobile Agreed, sorry I skipped through a lot of your post because its irrelavent. SPI with that many miles and 10 years old Id say around 2k. Maybe you can get 3 for it, maybe.

dnprall 09-26-2012 08:52 PM

I don't know anything about appraising cars nor the details of the different engines that foci can come with.

My 2000 Focus with the Zetec DOHC with 90K got a $3000 trade in value and the dealer has it listed for $6000.

Is the OP's engine and mileage that big of a problem to bring down the private seller price?

VEGAS 09-26-2012 10:22 PM

it comes down to just a few things.. Age, Miles and Accidents, Defects and Location...

You cannot ask retail because your giving no warranty, so asking $4900 like a dealer will never fly..

Your car is worth $1800 to $2500 unless you got a moron then maybe $3000... You can ask for $3500 and it might sell, but you will be waiting a LONG time, Just so you can get a idea... I bought a 2007 Focus with 38k miles for $2700 so it all comes down to luck.. KBB.com is your best bet because 90% of the stuff you claim NEW!!! is maintenance and does not help price.

Its like a house purchase, 50% location and %50 square footage, very little if any has do do with extras or even a fresh coat of paint..

mikeeshaq 09-26-2012 11:18 PM

I am very sorry

You have a SPI engine that is known to drop a valve seat and very possibly destroy the engine.

If I had a friend who was looking at your car - I would simply say RUN!

LouBomb 09-26-2012 11:59 PM

SPI engine?

I would pay you not to sell it to me lol

but really about 2500~

focusauto01 09-27-2012 11:24 AM

Thanks for the information. I was looking at going ahead and doing a head swap a few weeks ago, but I decided to go ahead and get the hybrid. Thanks for all the help. I got what I needed to know. I was hoping to get in between 2400 and 2800. Thanks again!

For some reason I've never had a really big problem selling cars, I guess its because where I live now. I'm located right in the smack dab middle of San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and Austin Texas. So I have Millions and Millions of people around me, so I guess that has always helped me because there is such a high demand between all the major cities I live right in the middle of. lol But thanks for the pricing guys, appreciated!

VEGAS 09-27-2012 01:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp4uksQdQpA