Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Normal Idle Vibration (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298487)

Vegoose 09-26-2012 10:54 AM

Normal Idle Vibration
 
This is a noob question but I can't find an exact answer by searching the forums. I recently purchased an 06 ZX4 as a commuter vehicle and, eventually, for my son to drive. It's been a long time since I've owned 4 cyl vehicle and I'm not sure how much engine vibration at idle is normal.

I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and some in the seat when idling without the A/C running. With the A/C running the engine actually seems to smooth out.

I've read on the forums to check for vacuum leaks, possible clean or replace the IAC and/or TPS. Before I do all that, just wondering if I should expect some vibration from the Duratec 2.0?

Dizle 09-26-2012 12:11 PM

I have the same thing with my car, 75k miles. It's kind of annoying too. Also the motor doesn't rev-down, or return to idle, as quick as other cars. I've read this is normal for the PVEZ? I've changed the oil, cleaned MAF and will replace plugs and wires soon. Just seems the the rev's kind of hang for too long?

rambleon84 09-26-2012 03:03 PM

It could be one of the motor mounts is worn out, more likely if its higher mileage...

search around here for other posts on motor mounts, they are easy enough to replace, you have three of them; transimision mount(aka dogbone) passenger side (will leak a fluid if blown) and driver side.

I'd check the passenger motor mount first.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...archid=6452358

Vegoose 10-11-2012 11:35 PM

Just posted this on another thread too, but changing the passenger side mount is like a magic bullet! Vibration, droning and buzzines are completely eliminated.

felixthecat 10-14-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegoose (Post 4373999)
This is a noob question but I can't find an exact answer by searching the forums. I recently purchased an 06 ZX4 as a commuter vehicle and, eventually, for my son to drive. It's been a long time since I've owned 4 cyl vehicle and I'm not sure how much engine vibration at idle is normal.

I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and some in the seat when idling without the A/C running. With the A/C running the engine actually seems to smooth out.>>>> The a/c kicks the motor to a slightly higher rpm.<<<<

I've read on the forums to check for vacuum leaks, possible clean or replace the IAC and/or TPS. Before I do all that, just wondering if I should expect some vibration from the Duratec 2.0?

Yes, its a 4 cyl & thats the way it is. Your going to get vibes thru the S/W. You should see my wheel vibrate w/ bsd & cams at idle. No big deal.

Focusblackzx5 10-15-2012 08:18 AM

yup mine too, same thing, S/W vibrations^^ even with 3 brand new motor mounts. But with intake and exhaust vibrations, it's a lot worse eheh^^

felixthecat 10-15-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 (Post 4405819)
yup mine too, same thing, S/W vibrations^^ even with 3 brand new motor mounts. But with intake and exhaust vibrations, it's a lot worse eheh^^

Yeah, but it worth it thou.

Dizle 10-30-2012 03:18 PM

UPDATE

Went from annoying vibrations at idle and throughout the rpm range while driving to buttery smooth like a new car with no vibrations!

I inspected the passenger motor mount and it looked to be in fairly good condition. Went ahead and replaced it anyways and the vibrations are COMPLETELY GONE! Feels like a brand new car at idle and while driving, it seems like she's not even running it's so smooth.

Anyone with vibration issues at idle I would say change the passenger mount, took like 20 mins and fixed all my vibrations issues. After much research on here I went with DEA brand motor mount, didn't want to spend 2x that for a Ford part. Hoping the $60 mount lasts a few years, if not at least I know it'll be worth it to buy a Ford part and it WILL solve my annoying vibration issues if the come back in the future!

Vegoose 10-30-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizle (Post 4430956)
UPDATE

Went from annoying vibrations at idle and throughout the rpm range while driving to buttery smooth like a new car with no vibrations!

I inspected the passenger motor mount and it looked to be in fairly good condition. Went ahead and replaced it anyways and the vibrations are COMPLETELY GONE! Feels like a brand new car at idle and while driving, it seems like she's not even running it's so smooth.

Anyone with vibration issues at idle I would say change the passenger mount, took like 20 mins and fixed all my vibrations issues. After much research on here I went with DEA brand motor mount, didn't want to spend 2x that for a Ford part. Hoping the $60 mount lasts a few years, if not at least I know it'll be worth it to buy a Ford part and it WILL solve my annoying vibration issues if the come back in the future!

I had the exact same experience. I did, however, buy the Ford part just avoid any problems with a non-OEM part. FYI, you can find the Ford part on Ebay for around $85 incl shipping. Good to hear the DEA part worked for you. I think I might replace the drivers side mount soon so maybe I'll order aftermarket.

PRSman25 10-30-2012 05:46 PM

Why are you guys buying such expensive mounts?
O.o

Rock Auto has these mounts for almost half...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp