Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Air Box MOD... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298484)

Brabs_Weather 09-26-2012 10:10 AM

Air Box MOD...
 
Just installed the RX-4870 and with a little cutting it looks great. First off you have to cut a support ring that fits over the end of the filter(replacing soon with aluminum). I choose to use the OEM filter by cutting away all the paper and cutting out all but 1/2". Then had to cut about 1/4 - 1/2" off the lip of the lip so the filter would fit. Overall took about 30 minutes. This allows are to come int from the snorkel and from the driver side of the airbox. Puma speed has other pics in the ST.

I think this provides all to performance of the SRI and retains the stock look.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMAG0104-1.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...c/IMAG0105.jpg

sam fisher 09-26-2012 12:42 PM

clean install , looks great!

Brabs_Weather 09-26-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam fisher (Post 4374174)
clean install , looks great!

Thanks, the support ring needs a lot of work though and I should be able to get that done soon.

TboneZX3 09-26-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather (Post 4373913)
I think this provides all to performance of the SRI and retains the stock look.

That's a nice setup.

I would bet it would perform better than most SRIs due to the heat shielding and cool air provided.

dyn085 09-26-2012 03:38 PM

This is really interesting. Theoretically, you should be able to get some pretty decent gains out of this, as you can benefit from all of the airbox mods and still pull in more air...

Have you done anything else to the box/intake setup (snorkel delete, etc.)? Next steps, dyno testing, etc.?

Brabs_Weather 09-26-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyn085 (Post 4374447)
This is really interesting. Theoretically, you should be able to get some pretty decent gains out of this, as you can benefit from all of the airbox mods and still pull in more air...

Have you done anything else to the box/intake setup (snorkel delete, etc.)? Next steps, dyno testing, etc.?

I am not planning to dyno, but there is a place down the street. it runs great all the way to redline, pulls hard 65 to 85. Shifts are crisper.

dyn085 09-26-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather (Post 4374680)
I am not planning to dyno, but there is a place down the street. it runs great all the way to redline, pulls hard 65 to 85. Shifts are crisper.

Awesome[thumb]



Sent from my stupid phone.

vluc 09-27-2012 08:40 AM

Can you post a pic of the filter mod itself, not just the end poking out of the box?

Brabs_Weather 09-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vluc (Post 4375428)
Can you post a pic of the filter mod itself, not just the end poking out of the box?

It was pretty easy to cut the lid, but the support ring was awkward. I will be replacing it with an aluminum ring like the Puma Speed in the 3rd pick.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMAG0108-1.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...IMAG0107-1.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ing_fitted.jpg

vluc 09-28-2012 01:17 PM

I might have to buy a new OEM filter just to cut it up....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp