Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   ATX solenoid gremlins need help 2002 SE (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298480)

WhiteThunder 09-26-2012 09:28 AM

ATX solenoid gremlins need help 2002 SE

So I have replaced solenoid A and B ad now I'm getting a code P0761 solenoid C performance. What is the deal with these fords... I keep greeting different codes every time I replace a solenoid. First it was A replaced A, then got a code for B replaced that, now 30 miles later its solenoid C. I'm really close to junking this car the sad thing is it only has 62k on it. Awful product IMO. Opinions and speculations are welcome
Also I just spoke with a local trans shop the tech claimed a lot of the times the seals in the valve body get stuck and need to be cleaned or replaced. Can anyone confirm this?

DueceCoupe 09-26-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteThunder (Post 4373822)
So I have replaced solenoid A and B ad now I'm getting a code P0761 solenoid C performance. What is the deal with these fords... I keep greeting different codes every time I replace a solenoid. First it was A replaced A, then got a code for B replaced that, now 30 miles later its solenoid C. I'm really close to junking this car the sad thing is it only has 62k on it. Awful product IMO. Opinions and speculations are welcome
Also I just spoke with a local trans shop the tech claimed a lot of the times the seals in the valve body get stuck and need to be cleaned or replaced. Can anyone confirm this?

I feel Your pain.
Please remember,all Cars are the same and all parts break over time.
Its not just Fords,all vehicles will do this as years go by.
Personally,I havn't heard much about the valve bodies getting stuck or needing replaced.
If it were Me,I would simply ask another transmission shop for a second opinion.
And go from there.

WhiteThunder 09-26-2012 11:12 AM

To be more specific I mean the automatic transmission. I drive a towncar and its very solid.
WhiteThunder is my wife's car which we received with 5k on the dial. It's just very surprising that a vehicle with such low miles could have so many problems and not have a recall (maybe there has been and I just haven't come across it yet). In the next week I'm going to take it a local trans shop and ford to get a better idea as to how to fix the problem if it can be fixed.

redwake 09-26-2012 11:42 AM

the idea of incramental repairs/replacement in the ATX did not sound appealing to me. if your replacing your own solenoid's you know what your doing.

have you looked at the lentec valvebody?

WhiteThunder 09-26-2012 11:54 AM

Yes a new performance valve body is an option but for half the price of a rebuilt ATX it's not cost affective. After I get a diagnosis I will post

redwake 09-26-2012 12:28 PM

you might get lucky and find one. which is why i have a full lentec in my car.. some one bought it never installed it left it in the crate for a year or so then decided they didn't want it.

good news for me.

amc49 09-26-2012 09:19 PM

There are generally no seals in valve bodies, they are metal to metal parts for the most part. Trans shop is smoking you.

If all solenoids showing trouble maybe a voltage issue in wiring harness or power supply to/from them.

WhiteThunder 10-01-2012 01:34 PM

Well.. It seems I have a self healing focus.... No codes (after pulling out the battery to remove the stubborn airbox screws) and its running very good and mpg is outstanding again. I'm am not expecting miracle but I'm pretty sure it's a wire issue. Mainly the harness that connects the valve body to rest of the heap. Does anyone know the part number for the harness I'm referring to? Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone this is a great place to learn.

redwake 10-01-2012 04:48 PM

it happens.. wiggling wires seems to have fixed one of my many problems over the weekend.

DueceCoupe 10-01-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteThunder (Post 4381836)
Well.. It seems I have a self healing focus.... No codes (after pulling out the battery to remove the stubborn airbox screws) and its running very good and mpg is outstanding again. I'm am not expecting miracle but I'm pretty sure it's a wire issue. Mainly the harness that connects the valve body to rest of the heap. Does anyone know the part number for the harness I'm referring to? Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone this is a great place to learn.

Maybe it was just a ECU issue and by pulling the battery,You reset it?