Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Blows heat when set to cool air (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298456)

riparke 09-25-2012 08:46 PM

Blows heat when set to cool air

I thought the AC was weak in the focus, during the summer, but I just discovered that the air temp blowing out the vents with the dial set to the left as far as it will go without turning on recycle is warm to hot at my feet and not as hot at the dash. This is when it's not that hot outside and the dash is not heated up from the sun. I believe the blend doors (flaps) are not adjusted right. If I move the dial 2 clicks up still in the blue cold area it's very hot air.
Has anyone else had this problem?

BLRich1 09-25-2012 10:15 PM

Sounds to me like you should have it looked at under warranty.

FPFTraining 09-29-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riparke (Post 4373212)
I thought the AC was weak in the focus, during the summer, but I just discovered that the air temp blowing out the vents with the dial set to the left as far as it will go without turning on recycle is warm to hot at my feet and not as hot at the dash. This is when it's not that hot outside and the dash is not heated up from the sun. I believe the blend doors (flaps) are not adjusted right. If I move the dial 2 clicks up still in the blue cold area it's very hot air.

I noticed the same thing today. Will definitely have it looked at during my 30,000 mile service next week.

scott7278 09-29-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Definitely take it to the dealer...my A/C would freeze my hands on 100 degree days.

FordService 10-01-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

I thought the AC was weak in the focus, during the summer, but I just discovered that the air temp blowing out the vents with the dial set to the left as far as it will go without turning on recycle is warm to hot at my feet and not as hot at the dash. This is when it's not that hot outside and the dash is not heated up from the sun. I believe the blend doors (flaps) are not adjusted right. If I move the dial 2 clicks up still in the blue cold area it's very hot air...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPFTraining (Post 4379484)
I noticed the same thing today. Will definitely have it looked at during my 30,000 mile service next week.

Hi riparke and FPFTraining,

As the folks below mentioned, going to your dealer is a great first step. Additionally, I'd like to escalate each of your cases. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number; I'll make sure your information gets in the right hands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLRich1 (Post 4373348)
Sounds to me like you should have it looked at under warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott7278 (Post 4379499)
Definitely take it to the dealer...

Thanks for the assist, BLRich1 and scott7278!

-Crystal [wave]

FPFTraining 10-01-2012 05:17 PM

Thanks, Crystal, but I'm not quite ready to go nuclear....yet. :)

cmmike1 10-01-2012 05:35 PM

i had this problem with my 08. i realized that i needed to actually press the ac button too to get it to turn on. not sure if the 2012 is the same or not.

FordService 10-02-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPFTraining (Post 4382112)
Thanks, Crystal, but I'm not quite ready to go nuclear....yet. :)

LOL! No prob, FPFTraining. Keep me in the loop; I'm ready to pounce whenever you give me the word. [;)]

Crystal [wave]

Scarbelly 10-02-2012 07:17 PM

I have found that when mine is blowing warmer than it should, I can remedy it by turning the knob to defrost and back again. This could possibly be a sticky vent door.

riparke 10-08-2012 02:51 PM

Did some test this past weekend, 4hr drive at 70 mph on I 29, 50 degrees outside, overcast (no sunshine, so no heating of dash), control set to cold as far as it will go without triggering AC, air directed to floor.
Results 68 to 70 degrees at drivers floor vent (18 to 20 above outside temp)
Dealer said this is normal, contacted Ford and did a AC temp check for this against another Focus. When I had dropped the car off in the morning they said they saw the problem, but by end of day, no problem. Told me they checked the blend door by eyeball with a flashlight. I looked under the dash from both side and can't see sh_t of any flap or door. I have the manual temp controls and think I'm being told bullsh_t.