Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Strut/Shock question (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298451)

BlueFlik 09-25-2012 08:53 PM

Strut/Shock question

Hi all;

First, I had a look for something like this - if I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

Now, on to my question. I have H&R lowering springs for my 09 SE Coupe. I've heard it's a very good idea to replace the struts with the springs. I know a lot of people recommend Koni Yellows for performance, but if I'm looking for something more economical, would a set of Monroe Sensa-Tracs (or equivalent) be suitable? If not, what is the least expensive set of struts you would recommend with lowering springs? I'm basically looking for the cheapest option without "doing it wrong."

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!

1hotfocus 09-25-2012 09:35 PM

No. Monroe is an OEM replacement. You don't want that. Consider kyb agxs, koni SRT.t's, or eibach pro dampers. Koni yellows are the best in the market for lowering springs but you have to pay to play. Also, for good shocks your going to need the omni kit, as the struts mentioned above are made for 00-05.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using FF Mobile

BlueFlik 09-25-2012 09:44 PM

Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for.
This, however, brings up another question - if I get the Omni kit, will my H&R springs be useless? Or will I be able to use 08-11-style springs with 00-05-style struts on an omni?
Thanks again

felixthecat 09-25-2012 10:06 PM

Omni kit get you far

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFlik (Post 4373210)
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for.
This, however, brings up another question - if I get the Omni kit, will my H&R springs be useless? Or will I be able to use 08-11-style springs with 00-05-style struts on an omni?
Thanks again

Model yr '00-''05's use one type of spring & strut & '06-'11 use a bigger diameter strut & a spring w/ a pigtail at the bottom. So no you can't interchange the two types. So if you have a later='06+ spring you will need the later strut. The earlier '00-'05 struts & springs are more popular w/ the aftermarket then the later cars. Have OMNI kit & your wide open to all suspension kit made. If your going to mix & match= make sure the strut can handle the spring pressure. All lowering springs are going to have more spring pressure to handle the reduced suspesion travel. So you need a strut to handle the increased pressure. Makes sense doesn't? Shorter travel means somethings got to give, huh?[idea]

BlueFlik 09-25-2012 10:42 PM

Got it, thanks! [thumb]

felixthecat 09-25-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFlik (Post 4373301)
Got it, thanks! [thumb]

No problem. So which way are you going?

BlueFlik 09-26-2012 10:59 AM

I'm going to keep an eye out for a good deal on suitable struts for the later years. If nothing turns up in the next few weeks, I imagine I'll be getting the Omni, and then one of the older suspension types (perhaps SVT kit).
Cheers

felixthecat 09-26-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFlik (Post 4373894)
I'm going to keep an eye out for a good deal on suitable struts for the later years. If nothing turns up in the next few weeks, I imagine I'll be getting the Omni, and then one of the older suspension types (perhaps SVT kit).
Cheers

Massive performance has the Omni kit, by the way

BlueFlik 09-26-2012 02:06 PM

Thanks!