Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Parking Sensor False Alarms (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298446)

dragonpalm 09-25-2012 06:41 PM

Parking Sensor False Alarms

On several occasions, when I came to a stop without being in park, my car would emit a continuous beep sound from the front speakers, indicating that a front sensor picked up something in range of it, but nothing was nearby. Every time this has happened, it was a clear, sunny day and no dirt or debris was on the sensors. I had to either go into neutral or press the parking sensor off button to stop the beep. Also, my car is a one week old 2013 Focus Titanium with the parking assist package.

I'm going to call the dealer about this but I cannot replicate the problem. It seems to happen randomly, maybe 20% of the time I drive.

[Update]

I finally had the time to make a video of it and sent it to Ford technical service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuruKe0EZ4U

This is their response:
"Definitely should not be going off there appears to be some type of issue communicating with the sensors or possible with the Parking Aid Module (PAM), has the dealer attempted to check for Codes in the PAM by running a network test? Hotline also suggesting running the azimuth system check per 413-13A of the workshop manual."

At least they recognize that it's an issue. Now I have to wait for a call from my dealership...

PratoN 09-25-2012 07:57 PM

That's pretty intense. It's happened to me a handful of times. Always when stopping at a light or stopped at a light when a car pulls up next to me (but never close enough to warrant beeping...)

Guimpy 09-25-2012 09:30 PM

I've found that to happen with my car when a bus or loader gets beside me in the other lane while at a stop light or when I'm barely moving in stop and go traffic. I just thought it was vibration or something of that sort. Wakes me up! :/)

focus wht 09-26-2012 08:58 PM

I have a new Focus TI that is 2 weeks old and is Equipped with self parking. I have had the same false front sensors going off with a beeping and the a solid tone. This has occured at stop lights with no other vehicles present. I hope someone at Ford reads these post and can look into it. Have been back to dealer but they cannot find any issue as it is intermitent only happend a few times. Dealer needs to see it while issue is present to scan other wise shows clear. This is maddening. Have not been able to produce it on command it just happens intermitently and yet no vehicles forward are present.

dragonpalm 09-26-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focus wht (Post 4374876)
I have a new Focus TI that is 2 weeks old and is Equipped with self parking. I have had the same false front sensors going off with a beeping and the a solid tone. This has occured at stop lights with no other vehicles present. I hope someone at Ford reads these post and can look into it. Have been back to dealer but they cannot find any issue as it is intermitent only happend a few times. Dealer needs to see it while issue is present to scan other wise shows clear. This is maddening. Have not been able to produce it on command it just happens intermitently and yet no vehicles forward are present.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I've contacted my local Ford rep about this issue and they set me up with my dealer. Hopefully they can find something because the beeps are really annoying.

FordService 09-27-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focus wht (Post 4374876)

Hey there, focus wht,

I want to escalate you to your regional Customer Service Manager. They'll work in tandem with your dealership to ensure that your concern is resolved. To do so, send me a PM with your VIN, estimated mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and daytime phone number; I'll handle everything from there. [wave]

Thanks,
Crystal

focus wht 09-27-2012 07:34 PM

Thanks

clogan 09-28-2012 06:27 PM

Parking sensors on our Focus are pretty much useless. Always going off whenever we enter/exit our garage. I just turned the darn things off. Another useless feature as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

hotleadsingerguy 09-28-2012 09:56 PM

The basic reason is that the sensors are sound waves to check distances. If a bus or something pulls up next to you and lets out an exhaust wave, the heat is enough to disrupt the waves.

bryantest 09-29-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clogan (Post 4378076)
Parking sensors on our Focus are pretty much useless. Always going off whenever we enter/exit our garage. I just turned the darn things off. Another useless feature as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

So in other words, this is more of "nice to have" feature rather than "need to have"?