Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Right Front Seat Rattle (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298403)

Quantos 09-25-2012 05:12 AM

Right Front Seat Rattle
 
Hi guys,

I've got a rattle seemingly coming from my right-front seat, and I was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what it could be. I haven't gone there and fiddled with every part I can find yet, but I wanted to know if I could avoid that altogether if someone knows what that could be specifically.

The symptoms of the rattle are as follows. It seems only to happen over 100KH/h (~ 60 MPH), and only when nobody is sitting in the right front seat. I've fiddled a bit with the parts I can touch easily as I go along, but at that speed, I just can't start messing with everything there is on and around the seat. From what I can hear though, it's definitely from the seat or under the seat, as opposed to door trim or dash trim. The noise itself is a bit hard to describe. It's a sort of cracking noise, perhaps two plastic pieces rubbing together at sharp angles or something like that. It'll try to see if it's possible to record it. The annoying thing is that I can't actually troubleshoot it myself as it's happening, I'd need to get someone in the back seat to fiddle with it :(

Anyone go ideas or similar experiences?

wgilles 09-25-2012 07:19 AM

Check this thread out. You might find a solution

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273150

SkyPilot 09-25-2012 08:35 AM

I have the same issue going on, I took it to my dealer and they ordered new seat rails for the seat, IDK if that will fix the issue as the dealer has not received them yet.

Quantos 09-25-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgilles (Post 4371987)
Check this thread out. You might find a solution

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273150

Wow, great read! Thanks for that link.

I'll try to push things around on my way back home to see if anything changes. I didn't touch the passenger headrest yet, that'll be a good test. I'll see if I can get a recording of it as well (if it's loud enough, I'm not quite sure).

TiPilot 09-25-2012 11:30 AM

I've been having the same issue since I bought my car. Also speed-related. Dealers have acknowledged the rattle but, to date, no fixes.

One recent development... for the longest time, I thought it was coming from the pax door area. However, on a long (500 mi) trip last weekend, my wife said she's almost positive it's coming from under the center console. Since it's speed-related, I'm 99.9% sure it's outside the car and I'm now thinking it's probably the heat shield under that area. I plan to ask the dealer to take a look down there next time the car's in.

Quantos 09-25-2012 12:35 PM

Heatshield would make sense. I've read that some people still hear the noise when there's a passenger, while some people don't. I'm in the latter case: there's definitely no noise when there's a passenger on my right. I'm going home now, I'll try and record it and mess around with what I can.

FordService 09-25-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantos (Post 4371901)
Hi guys,

I've got a rattle seemingly coming from my right-front seat, and I was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to what it could be. I haven't gone there and fiddled with every part I can find yet, but I wanted to know if I could avoid that altogether if someone knows what that could be specifically...

Hi Quantos,

Give the fine folks at the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre a call. They'll reach out to your local dealership and find a solution for your concern. They can be reached at: 1-800-565-3673.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPilot (Post 4372063)
I have the same issue going on, I took it to my dealer and they ordered new seat rails for the seat, IDK if that will fix the issue as the dealer has not received them yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiPilot (Post 4372362)
I've been having the same issue since I bought my car. Also speed-related. Dealers have acknowledged the rattle but, to date, no fixes...

Hi SkyPilot and TiPilot,

I'm happy to step in here and escalate both of you to your regional Customer Service Managers. Give me some specifics in a PM, including VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a daytime phone number. I'll make sure someone reaches out to you pronto. [8D]

Thanks,
-Crystal

PratoN 09-25-2012 02:26 PM

I think mine is the passenger seat AND the door panel.

As for the seat, I haven't determined if it's where the leather connects or on the track, but if I pull up and down quickly on the front left-most corner of the chair, it clicks. If I pull up slowly, it does not. If I adjust the seat position, sometimes it stops. I think it's something in the track, though.

wgilles 09-25-2012 03:22 PM

What I want to know is what is up with the right side of the car? It seems all of our rattles come from the right.

PratoN 09-25-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgilles (Post 4372778)
What I want to know is what is up with the right side of the car? It seems all of our rattles come from the right.

Our weight dampens the left side. haha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp