Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Spring Opinions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298183)

tspitts 09-22-2012 12:20 AM

Spring Opinions

I have a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs that my nephew took off of my SVT before I bought it from him. He put the stock SVT springs back on thinking I would not like the rougher ride. I am seriously toying with the idea of putting these springs back on the car but I would like to know if there is a big difference between these and the SVT springs. How much rougher of a ride will it be with the Eibachs? Thanks.

ProSilverVT02 09-22-2012 10:14 AM

The Eibach Pro-Kit spring is a "lowering spring".

The Eibach spring rate is a little stiffer than the SVT springs but not by much, which means the the ride will be very similar, you will just be riding a little bit lower with the Eibach setup.

DLQ001 09-22-2012 02:28 PM

I got my 02 SVT with the Eibach Sportline springs. If I was 17 again, or I was just using the SVT for Auto-X, I would probably have left them on.
As a daily driver, the ride was way to harsh for me, it just rattled my teeth over the smallest bump, even the crosswalk markings.

As a side note, I'd sell my Eibach Sportline springs, and a Focus Sport heat shield and Dominator filter, just make me an offer.

Chris

tspitts 09-22-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLQ001 (Post 4367937)
I got my 02 SVT with the Eibach Sportline springs. If I was 17 again, or I was just using the SVT for Auto-X, I would probably have left them on.
As a daily driver, the ride was way to harsh for me, it just rattled my teeth over the smallest bump, even the crosswalk markings.

As a side note, I'd sell my Eibach Sportline springs, and a Focus Sport heat shield and Dominator filter, just make me an offer.

Chris

That was pretty much the reason my nephew put the stock springs back on since I am well past 17. My SVT gets me to the park & ride every day and I am not cornering hard. I will probably put them up for sale since I need to shop for new tires in the next couple of months. Thanks for the input.

GBPackFan 09-26-2012 04:17 AM

Is there alot of rub with the eibach springs?

DLQ001 09-26-2012 06:00 AM

I didn't see any rub, but as stiff as they were, I can see why.

Eibach says the Prokit is good for 1 to 1-1/2" drop.

My Sportline springs lowered my SVT 1-1/4".

And the spring rate was a lot stiffer than the stock springs. They have to be, in order to get rear suspension movement clearance, and you have to cut the rubber bumpers down to get about 1"of rear suspension travel, maybe a touch more.

The ride is so Much better with the stock springs.

Chris

ProSilverVT02 09-26-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLQ001 (Post 4373551)
I didn't see any rub, but as stiff as they were, I can see why.

Eibach says the Prokit is good for 1 to 1-1/2" drop.

My Sportline springs lowered my SVT 1-1/4".

And the spring rate was a lot stiffer than the stock springs. They have to be, in order to get rear suspension movement clearance, and you have to cut the rubber bumpers down to get about 1"of rear suspension travel, maybe a touch more...

List of Spring Rates...

SVT:
F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

Eibach Pro-Kit: 1.5 Drop (.75" Drop on SVT)
F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in
(Linear Springs)

Eibach Sportline: 2 Drop (1 1/4" Drop on SVT)
F: 131~262 lb/in
R: 102~171 lb/in
(Progressive Springs)

**You have to subtract .75" using these setups on an SVT because the SVT came .75" lowered from the Factory.**

The Pro-Kit is similar in ride compared to OEM SVT.

The Sportlines are a noticeably stiffer ride than OEM SVT.

ProSilverVT02 09-26-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBPackFan (Post 4373534)
Is there alot of rub with the eibach springs?

There won't be any rubbing with either Eibach Pro-Kit or the Sportlines.

They only way you could possibly rub would be running a tire that is too big, or you are running something other than the stock offset.

elsolo 09-26-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 (Post 4374181)

The Pro-Kit is similar in ride compared to OEM SVT.

The Sportlines are a noticeably stiffer ride than OEM SVT.

There is a hugely noticeable difference between SVT springs an Eibach Pro-lines. The pro's only gave me another 1/2" drop, but the car didn't ride as well. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but eventually I put the SVT springs back in and it is so much better.

My opinion:
Rides better on bad roads
Dampening is matched perfect to SVT shocks
More predictable handling over irregular surfaces, like bumps in corners
Slightly less static cornering grip under ideal skidpad-like conditions
Feels ready to eat up any road, more difficult to upset the car

ProSilverVT02 09-28-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsolo (Post 4374249)
There is a hugely noticeable difference between SVT springs an Eibach Pro-lines. The pro's only gave me another 1/2" drop, but the car didn't ride as well. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but eventually I put the SVT springs back in and it is so much better.

So do you have the Pro-KIT or the SPORT-lines?

Because there is no such thing as "Pro-lines".

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsolo (Post 4374249)
My opinion:
Rides better on bad roads
Dampening is matched perfect to SVT shocks
More predictable handling over irregular surfaces, like bumps in corners
Slightly less static cornering grip under ideal skidpad-like conditions
Feels ready to eat up any road, more difficult to upset the car

This confuses me, how can the dampening be matched perfect to the shock if the shocks are where you get your dampening from and not the springs? [scratch]

Honestly, with how similar the Pro-Kit and OEM SVT springs are I'm very surprised you had that detailed of a difference between the two. I have had both on my SVT and aside from the drop, the ride was pretty much the same.