Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Low Level Brake Fluid (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298067)

chum567 09-20-2012 08:12 AM

Low Level Brake Fluid

My low level brake fluid light is coming on and off this morning on my way to work. Car has about 12,000 miles on it does that sound strange?

BetaDnB 09-20-2012 08:15 AM

Have you actually stopped to check your fluid level or are you just continuing to drive with a low brake fluid warning while posting threads on FF? More so, has your brake pedal feel turned spongy?

chum567 09-20-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaDnB (Post 4364213)
Have you actually stopped to check your fluid level or are you just continuing to drive with a low brake fluid warning while posting threads on FF? More so, has your brake pedal feel turned spongy?

Man such a smart ass so early in the morning.....this just happened this morning for the first time and every time I came to a stop it came on then went away as soon as I started going again. I have not checked because I went straight into work and haven't had time and the brake pedal feels fine.

dan50 09-20-2012 08:29 AM

It is strange. It could be just a bad sensor or truly low fluid. Take a look under the hood: if the level is OK it's probably a sensor issue that can be dealt with when you have time. If the fluid is actually low it means a trip to the dealer ASAP.

The fluid in reservoir is also used for the clutch, so be alert for odd behavior on that front, too. The cap on my reservoir was slightly loose when I took delivery, so that'd be another thing to check, even if the level is OK.

BetaDnB 09-20-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chum567 (Post 4364220)
Man such a smart ass so early in the morning.....

Sorry. You kind of left yourself wide open for it. Check the fluid level when you get a chance before you go anywhere. You only have to open the hood and look. Also check for leaks on the ground. It could be an actual problem or just a faulty sensor.

edit: I guess dan beat me to it.

suss6052 09-20-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan50 (Post 4364225)
It is strange. It could be just a bad sensor or truly low fluid. Take a look under the hood: if the level is OK it's probably a sensor issue that can be dealt with when you have time. If the fluid is actually low it means a trip to the dealer ASAP.

The fluid in reservoir is also used for the clutch, so be alert for odd behavior on that front, too. The cap on my reservoir was slightly loose when I took delivery, so that'd be another thing to check, even if the level is OK.

The fluid on the DCT equipped cars is only used for the brakes. You have an SEL, the same as the OP, and considering that they are in AL. chances of them having a canadian spec manual is slim to none in the SEL. But otherwise this makes sense.

jdetzel 09-20-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chum567 (Post 4364209)
My low level brake fluid light is coming on and off this morning on my way to work. Car has about 12,000 miles on it does that sound strange?

In addition to what Dan and Beta said, DONT drive it!
You are still under warranty. Call the dealer, tell them it is unsafe to drive and make them tow it.

oritpro 09-20-2012 09:37 AM

I get a low brake fluid warning when my car is parked facing down a slight (20-25 degree) incline, usually when backed into my driveway. It happened this morning again before I left for work.

I've checked the fluid level and it's fine but I am going to have the shop take a look at it anyway.

chum567 09-20-2012 09:46 AM

ok well I called the dealer because I'm waiting on another part (been waiting over 3 months to be exact :/) and he told me my part had finally been shipped and will be in next week and then I told him about what happened this morning and he said something along the lines of it not actually being low it has more to do with the actual brake pedal being thinner. He said to just wait till next week when I bring it in for other work for them to look at it. Thoughts?

darkangelism 09-20-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chum567 (Post 4364346)
ok well I called the dealer because I'm waiting on another part (been waiting over 3 months to be exact :/) and he told me my part had finally been shipped and will be in next week and then I told him about what happened this morning and he said something along the lines of it not actually being low it has more to do with the actual brake pedal being thinner. He said to just wait till next week when I bring it in for other work for them to look at it. Thoughts?

check the level first, if it is low you can't wait