Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   my 08 is only getting 4mpg!!! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298034)

superdutyscaler 09-19-2012 07:21 PM

my 08 is only getting 4mpg!!!

actually its my sisters 08 4-cylinder that has dropped to 4mpg for the past few or so. It just hit 60k and 50% of the time after it warms up it has a vibration you feel when your sitting in it, but the motor is smooth as glass. Im figure its the fuel filter because its the size of chapstick and the 60k??? Need some help before i start ripping into plugs and injectors on a otherwise smooth powerful running motor

mikebontoft 09-19-2012 07:30 PM

I think its tune up time... also check for any vacuum leaks. there is the rubber PCV hose under the intake manifold that makes it a pain to find (manifold must be removed) but it can split and allow unmetered air into the engine.

it could also possibly be an 02 sensor, the front one.

you have to try hard to get 4mpg. very hard. no way is it running great.

Indy'sexclusiveZx3 09-19-2012 08:00 PM

I don't even see how that's possible my 1978 ford f150 with a 7.5l in it get 6 mpg, it would have to run supper rough and have a lest a check engine light on

rambleon84 09-19-2012 09:41 PM

miles driven divided by gallons of gas put into the tank equals four? no way... that's 56 miles on a full tank of 14 gallons.

do you smell gas? only way you are getting that poor of mpg is if; you are either leaking gas bad, some one is siphoning your tank or you are terrible at math

Indy'sexclusiveZx3 09-19-2012 10:59 PM

That's what Im saying there's no way

MyThIc3LiTe 09-19-2012 11:03 PM

So either;

1. Driven hard at all times.

2. Damage to the engine

3. Fuel is leaking out.

1 seems unlikely, even a Ferrari 599 gets 4MPG when driven on a track.

2 or 3 seem a lot more likely....

starfuryt550 09-20-2012 08:22 AM

It's impossible, unless you used the 4mpg for shock value lol.

How's the car running? Gotta give us a little more than that! A smooth running motor MUST have a leak or something of the sort for that to happen.

rambleon84 09-20-2012 12:20 PM

First post on a new account... Either he meant it was getting poor gas mileage and used 4 as a superlative or he's accessing this site on a laptop while under a bridge..

superdutyscaler 09-20-2012 12:39 PM

fst it dont my truck, its my sisters car. second she only getting about 100 miles out of a tank of gas for the past two months. And ive driven the catimes in the past week and it doesnt skip, rattle, thud or anything. It has very smooth power, no stumble or studs. Other then it only gwetting 100 miles out of a tank it runs very good for a four banger. Ive checked the pcm with a code reader and it has none, i checked the COP's and the injectores and all are fine. I figured the fuel filter because the dealer said we should change it ever 25k and the car just hit 60k so i figured it was this. I came to this forum for one reason to help out my sister because if it was my car it would have new plugs installed also and she only has a part time job now and she doesnt have alot of extra cash. But thanks alot for all the positive responses and if your ever in NJ and she a jacked up 6.0 F350 holler out my screen name and ill be sure to smoke yous the [:)][:)][:)][:)] out!

mac.mogul 09-20-2012 01:10 PM

I will never ever ever be in NJ.

But since you ARE in NJ, maybe someone is siphoning her gasoline.