Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Car won't start and DTC dash code says 9318 (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298024)

Jamsen 09-19-2012 05:10 PM

Car won't start and DTC dash code says 9318

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me with this annoying problem.

I tried to start my 02 Focus 1.4 the other day and it just won't start, I can hear it turning over like it wants to but never does. The first try of the day it usually fires but promptly dies. I don't use the car much too much but I've recently just came back from a 500mile round trip and it was fine. I've got about half a tank of petrol and all the electricals in the car work (radio, air and lights).

So far I've conducted as many tests as I can and I've checked that i have no blown fuses. When I turn the key to position II I can't hear the fuel pump which got me worrying it could be that :(

However today I checked the dash test DTC code and noticed that it says 9318 (which is low battery voltage < 10v). But oddly enough the voltage on the dash test comes back 11.8.

Does this sound like a bad battery? It's probably only 16 months old if that, but like I said I don't use the car much, maybe once a week at best. I can't get the car going so I can't take it to a garage and I have no one to help jump it. Bit of a pickle :(

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks.

elsolo 09-19-2012 05:21 PM

If the starter motor can rotate the engine and try to start it without being noticeably sluggish, the battery is fine. You may have an electrical distribution problem somewhere, can't rule that out yet.

BC_ZX3 09-19-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamsen (Post 4363356)
But oddly enough the voltage on the dash test comes back 11.8.

Does this sound like a bad battery?

That's the voltage of a dead / nearly dead battery.

Jamsen 09-20-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 (Post 4363804)
That's the voltage of a dead / nearly dead battery.

Thanks, I'll test it with a multimeter tonight to double check. The battery is only about 16 months old, is it worth trying to charge or should I replace it?

Could this low voltage stop things like the fuel pump working but still have enough juice to turn the starter?

Out of intrest what should the voltage of a battery be on a 1.4 focus?

Thanks

whynotthinkwhynot 09-20-2012 04:59 AM

I think the battery is low. You should hear the fuel pump for about 3 seconds when you turn the key from OFF to ON. If you're not hearing that, then you've definitely got some sort of problem with the fuel pump. It might be the controller or the pump itself.

BC_ZX3 09-20-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamsen (Post 4364042)
is it worth trying to charge or should I replace it?

Isn't going to do any harm trying to trickle charge it. However, your infrequent driving pattern is hard on battery life.

Quote:

Could this low voltage stop things like the fuel pump working but still have enough juice to turn the starter?

No. The starter motor will be the single biggest draw on any battery. However if the battery is a known problem, I'd fix the obvious first and then proceed from there.

Quote:

Out of intrest what should the voltage of a battery be on a 1.4 focus?

Voltage - approximate charge of a battery (engine off)
12.60 V 100%
12.35 V 75%
12.10 V 50%
11.95 V 25%
11.70 V 0%

When the car is running and the alternator is working properly, you should see 13 - 14.5V as measured at the battery.

Jamsen 09-30-2012 12:14 PM

Hello,
I've just got round to changing the battery as I had to order a new battery tray before fitting. The dtc code has now gone from the dash but the car still won't start. Anything else I can try before having to call the AA out?

Thanks