Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   need re-tune after battery disconnect? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297668)

dirtbikeman2012 09-14-2012 04:27 PM

need re-tune after battery disconnect?

I just got a focus svt and my tranny and clutch [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up from the previous owner and when the garage had to disconnect the battery. I got it back and the custom tune that was on it isn't loading or something. I dont have the programmer that should have came with it and I was just wondering that if it I needed the handheld or if I ran it for an amount of time, it would go back on?

forddorf 09-14-2012 07:23 PM

Your tune was installed by flashing your ecu. The custom tune stays in your cars computer and should not be affected by disconnecting the battery.

dirtbikeman2012 09-14-2012 08:10 PM

Can you explain why it isn't idling correctly? Or why it is boggy at the begining of some gears? The other thing I was told was that the idle gets screwy after the battery is disconnected, is it just that? I got 30 miles on it or so and I did notice its running better

sleepyboy 09-14-2012 08:23 PM

Disconnecting the battery should have no effect on what tune was on the car already. Sounds like the shop you took it too didn't hook something back up right? Check for vacuum leaks maybe a hose isn't connected or something?

ah1f39 09-14-2012 08:56 PM

The computer has to re-learn after the battery is disconected. It could take several hours of run time.

The cutsom tune is flashed and is safe untill reflashed with the stock tune or an adjusted custom tune.

Mile30 09-14-2012 09:08 PM

These cars are finicky after reconnecting the battery. It seems to be a Focus-proclivity!

sleepyboy 09-14-2012 09:11 PM

Disconnect it again, then wait about 10mins or just turn on all the light and stuff with the battery disconnected. Then connect and let the car sit there and idle for roughly 5-10mins. If it's cold let it warm up all the way. If you still have a problem then something is not right.

1turbofocus 09-15-2012 12:54 AM

The Batt loose has no effect on idle or any bogging , if this is what happening I would check Vac leaks , IMRC unhooked , cam sensor unhooked etc

Tom

dirtbikeman2012 09-15-2012 01:02 AM

Tom, since you are on here, I seen you around on all the forums. I took my car out to show my Buddy.how it runs right now and when.i.shifted the shifter went into 2nd gear but when I left out the clutch it sounded like it was still in first. I pulled over and my shifter was stuck in 2nd gear. I can't get it out of second. Any ideas?

P.S. I am gonna try the battery disconnect method and if that dont work ill check for a vac leak. My friend said that could be an issue after the ride.

mikebontoft 09-15-2012 01:07 AM

that part sounds related to the clutch install.

your weird running deal is characteristic of these cars when the battery is disconnected. It needs to go through the relearn procedure sleepy mentioned. It will not erase your tune.