Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus vs Cooper CS4 (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297647)

Chaput87 09-14-2012 10:30 AM

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus vs Cooper CS4

So, like the title said I am trying to decide between a Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus vs Cooper CS4.

The Bridgestone had LRR which is nice since I am a MPG oriented guy and put on a lot of miles. It's a directional tire though and if it starts to wear funny I can't rotate it to the other side.

The Cooper gets good reviews as well and is a non-directional. My mechanic offered them to me as an alternative. Not listed for LRR though.

Price-wise they are pretty much the same for a 195/60 R15.

In order of importance:
1) Quietness/Comfort
2) Treadlife / Warranty
3) Snow Traction
4) Handling

I am leaning towards the Bridgestone though because of the LRR.

Anyone have any experience with these tires that would care to share?
[burnout]

Geezer 09-14-2012 12:28 PM

FYI, most directional tires can be rotated to the other side of the car if you remove and flip the tire on the wheel. If you keep the tires properly balanced and have regular alignments rotating front to back on the same side shouldn't present any unusual wear issues. Another repected tire that meet most of your criteria is the Yokohama Avid Envigor.

Chaput87 09-14-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 4354147)
FYI, most directional tires can be rotated to the other side of the car if you remove and flip the tire on the wheel. If you keep the tires properly balanced and have regular alignments rotating front to back on the same side shouldn't present any unusual wear issues. Another repected tire that meet most of your criteria is the Yokohama Avid Envigor.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

The Envigors fall pretty short in show traction from the reviews and ratings and Lack the LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). We get over 200 inches of snow per year on average so I am looking for something with decent snow performance even though it's not on the top of my list.

Geezer 09-16-2012 08:45 PM

You'll find the low rolling resistance tires don't work in the snow and ice as well as a standard all season tire. The pliability of the tread and a slightly softer sidewall means a great deal in ice and snow performance. As always there's trade-offs with any tire. You're not going to find a tire that scores well in all of your criteria. Currently the best overall all season tire (does well in just about everything including decent tread wear, handling and currently has the best ice and snow traction (for an all season tire) is the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

stihlboy 09-24-2012 09:27 PM

bridgestones ftw!

they are not directional your mechanic is wrong. and they are great in snow and rain. i have them

sparky123 09-25-2012 05:12 PM

I recently put the Cooper CS4's on the wife's 05' ZX5. (They replaced general Altimax's HP's 195/60/15.) I'm very impressed by the Cooper's. A very high quality tire. They ride very smooth and are QUIET. Dry handling is excellent though I'd give a slight edge to the HP's. I have no doubt they are a far superior wet weather/winter tire. Also, two plies polyester sidewall. For the price I paid w/the $100/$50 MIR from Discount Tire Direct and Cooper, an outright steal. Made in the USA. I read there's a slight drop in MPG's w/the Cooper's, but looking at the thread pattern of the Bridgestone's I'd bet a shiny nickel, not much difference. This is second set of Cooper's and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

stihlboy 09-25-2012 07:45 PM

buy the turanzas before 9/30 and get a $70 amex card or a wii. your choice

rabbitdog 10-11-2012 10:58 AM

I have the Coopers on my daughter's 2002 Focus and can't keep air in them. After filling them, they (all four) are down 5 to 10 psi in a week or two. They seem to be wearing faster than they should also. I won't put Coopers on again because of this. To be fair, I have Coopers on my Sable and they have been very good; no air pressure problems at all and seem to be wearing well.

dooor 10-11-2012 03:43 PM

On my second set of Coopers. No snow here & little rain. Great dry traction and quiet. Had a warranty replacement because of a crooked tread-no problem with that. Very smooth ride. They lose about 1-2 lb. of air /month like most tires do.