Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   4th gear grind (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297624)

thisiskevin 09-13-2012 10:13 PM

4th gear grind

I've had my Focus for about 6 months and recently I'm having a hard time getting it into 4th gear. I really have to put some force into going from 3rd to 4th. It's like there are two positions for 4th. One part way up where it feels like it is in gear (not in gear and when it grinds) and one about 1/2" farther down where it really is in gear.

It's only 4th that it is hard to get into, all the other gears are smooth.

Is anyone else having this issue? The car has 7k miles on it and I have been driving standards for years and am not hard on the car at all. Im afraid to take it to the dealer only to have them tell me that it is a driver issue and not under warrantee.

suss6052 09-13-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiskevin (Post 4353239)
I've had my Focus for about 6 months and recently I'm having a hard time getting it into 4th gear. I really have to put some force into going from 3rd to 4th. It's like there are two positions for 4th. One part way up where it feels like it is in gear (not in gear and when it grinds) and one about 1/2" farther down where it really is in gear.

It's only 4th that it is hard to get into, all the other gears are smooth.

Is anyone else having this issue? The car has 7k miles on it and I have been driving standards for years and am not hard on the car at all. Im afraid to take it to the dealer only to have them tell me that it is a driver issue and not under warrantee.

Some one else had syncro issues on another gear and had to have the parts replaced and the transmission repaired under warranty, I think it was first or third gear however.

Elizabeth 09-13-2012 10:18 PM

The cables which attach to the shift levers on the transmission case ( which move the transmission gears) may be loose, or have moved. and need adjustment. (or one of the cables stretched)
NOT taking it in and it is an adjustment, and then because you did not take it in...
you really do damage the gears..
Not a great idea.

thisiskevin 09-13-2012 10:25 PM

Well it looks like ill be making an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks!

FordService 09-14-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiskevin (Post 4353239)
I've had my Focus for about 6 months and recently I'm having a hard time getting it into 4th gear. I really have to put some force into going from 3rd to 4th. It's like there are two positions for 4th...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiskevin (Post 4353256)
Well it looks like ill be making an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks!

Hi thisiskevin,

Going to the dealer is a great first step. Additionally, I'd like to escalate you to your region's Customer Service Manager. Shoot me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, and a good daytime phone number for you. Give me a heads up as things progress and keep me informed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4353246)
Some one else had syncro issues on another gear and had to have the parts replaced and the transmission repaired under warranty, I think it was first or third gear however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4353247)
The cables which attach to the shift levers on the transmission case ( which move the transmission gears) may be loose, or have moved. and need adjustment. (or one of the cables stretched)
NOT taking it in and it is an adjustment, and then because you did not take it in...
you really do damage the gears..
Not a great idea.

Thanks for chiming in with the info, folks! [hihi]

Have an awesome weekend!
-Crystal

thisiskevin 09-14-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4354174)
Hi thisiskevin,

Going to the dealer is a great first step. Additionally, I'd like to escalate you to your region's Customer Service Manager. Shoot me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, and a good daytime phone number for you. Give me a heads up as things progress and keep me informed.
-Crystal

Crystal,
I went to the dealer this morning and got things taken care of. They adjusted the shifter linkage and all is well. Thanks for everyones help!

FordService 09-14-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiskevin (Post 4354213)
Crystal,
I went to the dealer this morning and got things taken care of. They adjusted the shifter linkage and all is well. Thanks for everyones help!

[woot] What awesome news! Thanks for touching base.

-Crystal

Elizabeth 09-14-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisiskevin (Post 4354213)
Crystal,

Yeah... Glad i wa able to help too.
I love my manual tranny Focus and would hate to have a fellow gearchanger have problems.

thisiskevin 09-24-2012 09:27 PM

So this is happening again. I pinpointed around the speed that it happens and its around 45-50 and it happens if you are getting on the gas hard and shifting somewhat quickly. Again, foot is all the way to the floor with the clutch.

Back to the dealer I go in the morning. [:(]

BrApple 09-25-2012 10:44 AM

sorry to hear this.

I wish I had spoken up earlier and stated that a shift linkage problem would more then likely affect more then one gear.