Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Wheel fitment questions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297525)

20Focus13 09-12-2012 12:51 PM

Wheel fitment questions

Has anyone who has received their 2013 Focus ST already bought their winter wheel/tire package yet? I do not have my car as of yet since it is a ST3 so I was hoping another member that has their car has bought replacement wheels for their ST. I called Tire Rack and talked to a Ben and he told me that they did not have a 2013 Focus ST in their shop to check the wheel fitment yet and that is why their web site does show any wheels for the ST. I was sure I have read that the spare is just a Titanium Performance Package spare so I think the wheels are all the same except for their diameter. I want to order my tire/wheel package but I was hoping I could get a confirmation about the wheels being the same as the regular Focus first.

Thanks for any help.

Flybigrc 09-20-2012 08:29 AM

Downsizing the Wheels for Winter Tires?

I have read a few articles regarding Winter tires, and the recommendation is to put the smallest size wheel as possible oon your car for your winter tires.

Any idea on wheel sizes that will fit on an ST with the larger brakes. Also the smaller the wheel the cheaper the tires.

swansong 09-20-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybigrc (Post 4364226)
I have read a few articles regarding Winter tires, and the recommendation is to put the smallest size wheel as possible oon your car for your winter tires.

The idea is to get the narrowest tire you can, not necessarily the smallest. A skinny and tall tire is ideal. Narrow tires usually only come in smaller sizes, hence the reason why the wheel usually decreases in size as well.

I believe Tire Rack got an ST in a few days ago and were test fitting winter wheels/tires on it. I'd suggest poking around in the Wheels/Tires/Suspension forum.

YellowJellyBean 09-20-2012 10:48 AM

Here ya go, follow this thread.

20Focus13 09-20-2012 12:32 PM

I think the cold weather tires we get for our ST's should be right for the weather conditions of where we drive. We should also make sure that they have decent grip in the cold and drive safely while these tires are on our car. The manual does state the Factory tires are for 40 degrees and above.

swansong 09-20-2012 12:42 PM

All of the talk of "small" tires is in reference to a winter setup. You want to run as narrow a tire as you can with winter tires. This yields more traction in snow because the tire cuts through the snow and onto the road. A wide tire will be more likely to skate or float across the top. So in this case, small does not equal low traction.

Quality, of course, still matters. But just about all of the winter tire manufacturers make good products, it's hard to find a "crappy" winter tire. Some are just better, and sometimes more expensive, than others. In any case, a cheap winter tire will outperform an expensive all-season in the snow, guaranteed.

Flybigrc 09-20-2012 09:46 PM

Swansong I agree with the skinny tire for the winter setup. Discount tires has some winter packages.

alaskanzx5 09-20-2012 11:09 PM

yeah a more narrow tire does help in snow but thats just about it. i would assume it does in rain aswell because with a wider tire you would most likely be more at risk of hydroplanning.

any good mechanic shop should be able to measure your offset and everything to help you find a good set of tires and wheels that will fit. call around and see if you can find one that will even do it for free if you purchase the tires from them.

Flybigrc 11-25-2012 11:21 AM

I just installed 16" Drag 19s with Yokohama ice guards. The clearance in front was 1/8 inch but they run fine. The clearance is about the same as on my 2004 Covette.

Flybigrc 11-25-2012 09:30 PM

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/a...pictureid=8736