Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Clay bar works (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297493)

elsolo 09-11-2012 08:34 PM

Clay bar works

I have been running a clay bar across the paint on the old chevy. I did some spray painting in the garage (chevy's underside) and some overspray got on the paint. You couldn't see the overspray, but you could lightly feel it.

Clay bar + quick detail spray = problem gone quick

First time I have ever used a clay bar, these things are great. You can feel the stuff coming off the surface, the amount of crap it picks up is amazing. Cleans off the chrome, and other metal trim too.

sam fisher 09-11-2012 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=elsolo;4349106]I have been running a clay bar across the paint on the old chevy. I did some spray painting in the garage (chevy's underside) and some overspray got on the paint. You couldn't see the overspray, but you could lightly feel it.

Clay bar + quick detail spray = problem gone quick

First time I have ever used a clay bar, these things are great. You can feel the stuff coming off the surface, the amount of crap it picks up is amazing. Cleans off the chrome, and other metal trim too.[/QUOTE

good to know , lol i got a bit of overspray on mine the other day , was wondering what to do

lyonsroar 09-12-2012 03:42 PM

Sometimes clay bars won't take overspray off...just a caution...

elsolo 09-12-2012 09:37 PM

It wasn't direct overspray, but the secondary fog of half dried paint aerosol floating around the room. It was rattle-can paint, not epoxy primer or some good stuff. The car also has one heck of a coat of wax on it, so the overspray didn't have the best base to stick to.

I tried the claybar on water spots on my focus today, it worked pretty good and got about 80% off the first pass. It sucks having to park this car on the street where it gets hit by sprinklers twice a day.

darkangelism 09-13-2012 03:36 PM

Had the car been clayed before? It is a good tool even for "clean" paint if it hasn't been done recently.

sam fisher 09-13-2012 09:39 PM

yea my overspray was cheapo 97 cent can-o-paint. im gone try the clay on saturday , maybe ill do one half of my hood with the bar and leave the other for some pics

elsolo 09-14-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangelism (Post 4352537)
Had the car been clayed before? It is a good tool even for "clean" paint if it hasn't been done recently.

Never been clayed.
Paint is 12 yrs old, car only saw 3000 miles since painted, garaged and covered the whole time. Only seen water once, it usually just gets dusted off and quick detailed, waxed almost as often as driven. Paint was slicker than polished teflon prior to the overspray.

I need to do the rest of the Focus though, it has lived outside all ten years of it's life.

lyonsroar 09-14-2012 02:15 AM

Every car benefits from clay. From showroom new all the way to late model economy cars.

Nettalp 09-14-2012 02:34 AM

Vote for Gumby and Pokey