Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   SE Sport folks: How're your butts? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297442)

Holden 09-11-2012 07:39 AM

SE Sport folks: How're your butts?

Calling all 2012 SE Sport owners - Please talk about your seats!

Given that some of us might want to buy a Focus ST in its ST1 configuration (either to save money, fit our wide bodies, or - in my case - avoid such things as MFT and auto HVAC), your seats are the ones we'd be getting (the standard SE Sport silver-charcoal fabric seats, of course).

So, how are they? Looks? (I KNOW they look better than in pics...) Comfort? Support? Adjustability? Durability? Fabric quality? Stainability? You know, all that stuff. Thanks, and congrats to all of you for owning a rare and desirable version of the MKIII Focus.

Zillon 09-11-2012 07:56 AM

I love the seats in my car. I've been on two big trips in the last 2 months: one to the Outer Banks in NC in July (10 hours, 400 miles), and the other to Ohio in August (9 hours, 516 miles), and I was able to drive for hours with no numbness in my netherregions.

They're not quite the thrones found in the S60R (quite possibly the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in), but these seats are pretty damned good.

As far as lateral support goes, they could use a bit more bolstering, especially around the torso, but they aren't too bad. Since I'm a cyclist, I'm pretty skinny, so these seats don't hold my upper body in place the way I'd like them to. So, if the Recaros are too snug for you, these seats will probably be a good fit. The material is also pretty resilient - mine still look brand new after 10 months of ownership.

BetaDnB 09-11-2012 08:16 AM

I love the seats. The bolstering is great...although a little wide for my 135 lb. frame. As far as stainability, can't say. I don't allow that to happen. Durability and fabric quality are still like new IMHO after 15,000+ miles. They aren't Recaros, but they certainly aren't minivan seats either.

suss6052 09-11-2012 08:25 AM

I know you didn't ask, but technically the SE Sport seats are the same as the SEL and Ti base cloth seats with slightly different upholstery and color schemes.

Only the base S and SE had a slightly different seat with a much less agressive bolster in 2012. Besides the SEL is a rarer car than the SE sport package.

The seats are decently bolstered, they actually look quite agressive, they feel nice. I have yet to take any long journey as a driver yet, having ridden with my brother in his car to Cedar Point many many times this year. Its a little bit firm at times, but I get out of the car at the other end of the journey no worse for wear.

I actually have a long road trip coming up this weekend, 500+ mile round trip, and I'm looking forward to actually driving this time.

Its been awhile since I've had the opportunity to take such a road trip, the last really long trip involved driving for more than 18 hrs through a snow storm and missing the hotel by not arriving until 4 in the morning due to the weather.

I had to sleep a few hours in that car and then drive to Chicago from a starting point somewhere near Phoenix, AZ the previous day.

cobie56 09-11-2012 08:31 AM

I have (basically) the sports seats in leather in my SEL and after recently doing 2 seven hour non-stop trips i left the car w/o any aches at all. Usually the siatica in my left leg bug me after about 3 hours but not in this car.

Holden 09-11-2012 09:02 AM

Awesome feedback so far, everyone - thanks. Keep it coming!

DBxprss 09-11-2012 09:40 AM

We just bought the 2012 Focus SE Sport to replace the 2011 Fiesta my wife had been using for work. She has a commute of 65 miles each way, and the Fiesta, though wonderful on MPG, had narrow, harder seats that were uncomfortable after awhile. The wider seats in the Focus have good padding and side support, and she is much more comfortable on her long ride every day. I agree with earlier posts about the side bolsters being less effective for a slim person (I am 6 feet tall with a 30" waistline). However, it is still a very comfortable seat for me. I think most average size body types will find the seats very comfortable. The fabric is also very nice, and breathes well. I don't seem to get that 'clammy butt' syndrome on a long ride.

TboneZX3 09-11-2012 09:48 AM

I would agree with all the above on the comfort and support--these are great seats. One thing not mentioned is the "grippiness" of the fabric. The surface is sort of a "mesh" that really grips your backside well, reducing the need for more aggressive bolstering. I think that mesh might make it more difficult to clean up some spills, however.

Holden 09-11-2012 10:03 AM

^^ One thing I'll say about that mesh: it sure looks cool.

Zillon 09-11-2012 10:14 AM

I agree, the mesh is grippy, and it does breathe well. Back sweat sucks on long drives, and these seats help immensely.

While I can see why people think the seats look awful in the ST when compared to the uber-sexy Recaros, I personally think they look pretty good.