Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Dreading the "To Do" on the SVT... need pointers... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297384)

MustangCRZY302 09-10-2012 04:35 PM

Dreading the "To Do" on the SVT... need pointers...

Well, the mileage on the SVT is getting up there, just hit 91,000m, so, gotta start thinking about the To Do list, mainly a Timing belt.

I'm absolutely dreading the timing belt job. Too many horror stories on here about doing the job, then having to take it all apart again to reset the cams. I'm dreading the job so much, I've even considered finding an SVT dealer to do it,(and I hate taking my cars anywhere).

Other than that, it also needs the tstat housing replaced, thats gonna be a mess. Also the P1518 code for the intake sounds like its going to be annoying.

Other than that. Great car. lol

/rant

pasta 09-10-2012 06:25 PM

hang in there going to do mine soon and do full instructions with a friend on ff its not all that bad

Lurker27 09-11-2012 01:56 AM

P1518 I just fixed - had to replace my module, but it made a HUGE difference in how the car feels. Much better now. Makes me want to grab a tune, when funds allow it.

I'd also recommend doing shocks and rebuilding the shifter. I just did all of that, along with new front sway links (mine were shot) and it drives like new now (other than the slightly bent/curbed rims :( )

MustangCRZY302 09-11-2012 09:01 AM

we'll see how it goes i guess.

My shifter is the Steeda, so thats all good. I did the endlinks when I did the SwayBars so they are good, shocks I didn't think about... might not be a bad idea.

for the 1518 I know there is a write up on there to take the box apart, and file the contacts in there, don't know if I want to try that or not though...

macdiesel 09-11-2012 09:24 AM

Lurker might be referring to some of the bushings associated with the shifter, not necessarily the shifter itself. They wear over time and the you'll get a lot of play in the shifter.

ViperThreat 09-11-2012 11:12 AM

Have the timing belt done by a reputable shop. Its worth the $$ to not have to deal with the hassle.

The t-stat housing is easy.

84572 09-11-2012 01:29 PM

Don't be intimidated by the timing belt. It's not that bad. Get the "kit". It's just a flat bar that locks the cams into position and a bolt/plug that helps you get the crankshaft into the correct position. My belt broke. Parts & machine work are EXPENSIVE. I did everything but the machine work. When it came time to install the belt it wasn't bad. No codes either.

SVTFocusOnMe 09-11-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperThreat (Post 4348044)
Have the timing belt done by a reputable shop. Its worth the $$ to not have to deal with the hassle.

The t-stat housing is easy.

This ^ t-stat is cake. Take off hoses and it's a couple bolts.

jwill2489 09-11-2012 03:25 PM

we did my belt in 3 hrs. with a lot of BS talking.

the bar and pin were making it a PITA, so before we took the belt off we made two dots on the cams with white out.

we didnt even loosen the cams. once the new belt was back on top dead center, we turned it by hand like 15 times and the dots lined up every time it made a full rotation.

ive been driving the car for 5-6k miles since then and all has been good, pulls good, no CEL.

dont be scared

MustangCRZY302 09-11-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTFocusOnMe (Post 4348471)
This ^ t-stat is cake. Take off hoses and it's a couple bolts.

I knew that its easy, its just a mess. lol