Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   K&N Drop-In/Stock Housing Lid (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297354)

dkt23 09-10-2012 11:56 AM

K&N Drop-In/Stock Housing Lid

Hey guys, I have a question about the whether or not to leave the stock filter lid installed. I've done a lot of research on the forums and I am definitely going with the K&N drop in; however, I am still confused about whether to keep the lid on or not. I know there might be some heat issues with removing it and some obvious restriction if it remains... What do you guys think is best to achieve the most potential from the drop in? Thanks guys!!

TboneZX3 09-10-2012 12:13 PM

The only potential benefit you will gain from leaving the lid off is noise. If you leave the lid off, the intake will be pulling hot engine bay air in, which you do not want. Leaving the lid on will be best for performance and will be much quieter.

Trav-E2.0 09-10-2012 06:17 PM

I took mine off and am running the paper filter just because of what everyone was talking about. Left it off just for the sound. My opinion is it sounds great at WOT. I have my K&N on order. Should be here this week some time. Eventually, I wanna fab up my own lil heat shield design and actually get some hp and not just be a placebo.

dkt23 09-10-2012 06:36 PM

Haha, it's all about that placebo! I've been wanting the drop in for a while and I'm finally getting it tomorrow. I can't wait for more parts to come out, the 5-spds have so much potential.

thehun 09-10-2012 06:46 PM

i would get K&N RX-4870 filter, cut your oem filter so you have support ring..but it gives you full intake sound while remaining mostly closed

it is what i am doing in a couple of months

F35-JSF 09-11-2012 03:14 PM

What's the part number for the k&n? I'd like to get their brute force model

Trav-E2.0 09-11-2012 04:09 PM

Should be E-2993

Bought mine on amazon for $50 shipped

jimfocus 09-11-2012 05:29 PM

What I did was I bought a new air box lid (only about $6). I drilled a 3" hole in the front left with a hole saw. The hole faces front and lines up basically with the hood/fender gap on the drivers side, the grill/headlight area. I think cool air penetrates. I made a shield on the top front with 2" foam (like you use on your house windows to insulate an a/c unit). I have a K&N drop in with that. So there is a significant additional opening (bigger than the throttle body) but some heat protection and a little more sound. It is a little louder but not ridiculous and I think I notice a performance increase. It can be easily changed for dealership visit or inspection. I see recently there is a UK company offering a filter with the top end opened (which would be exposed on our cars) or the make an adapter ring that can be used with universal K&N type filters.

F35-JSF 09-11-2012 08:22 PM

Crap. Don't see an AEM dry flow model.

dkt23 09-12-2012 12:12 AM

Quick update, installed the filter earlier today and all I can say is that it feels like a new car!! Definite (but slight) improvement in power/acceleration/pick-up. Biggest improvement was how much smoother the car felt while driving. I have a 5 spd, gear changes felt way smoother and no "lag" feeling after accelerating from a full stop... Overall the engine performs/feels better. In my opinion replacing the stock filter is a MUST! Can't wait to see what will be avaliable for this car in the future...