Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Problem numbero uno (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297306)

SulavT 09-09-2012 08:06 PM

Problem numbero uno

A new problem recently popped up for my focus, it's only 7700 miles old...
Came from a 5 hour drive from Alabama, stopped near my base in a self car wash to get it cleaned and 5 min later this pops up.. [gunfire] Engine Temperature High, Stop Safely... I thought o well maybe because of the long drive it overheated.. but the next day, same thing, and same thing again and its been day 4, haven't had time to take it to a dealership yet but I have a feeling the thermostat broke. Anybody else had this problem yet?

suss6052 09-09-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulavT (Post 4344478)
A new problem recently popped up for my focus, it's only 7700 miles old...
Came from a 5 hour drive from Alabama, stopped near my base in a self car wash to get it cleaned and 5 min later this pops up.. [gunfire] Engine Temperature High, Stop Safely... I thought o well maybe because of the long drive it overheated.. but the next day, same thing, and same thing again and its been day 4, haven't had time to take it to a dealership yet but I have a feeling the thermostat broke. Anybody else had this problem yet?

When was your car built? If it was between a certain range from May to June there is a field service action for the active grill shutter harness having been broken from the supplier, which if this failed with the grille shutters closed could lead to this error message as the engine would then overheat.

This only matters if the car had the shutters and if they are stuck closed.

SulavT 09-09-2012 08:33 PM

How do I find out the date when it was built? The delivery date for it was 2012-03-20, so I'm guessing it was built a month or so prior?

misfire 09-09-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulavT (Post 4344537)
How do I find out the date when it was built? The delivery date for it was 2012-03-20, so I'm guessing it was built a month or so prior?

send me a private message with your full VIN in it and I can see if you have any TSB/Recalls for this

suss6052 09-09-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulavT (Post 4344537)

There is a sticker on the door jam, but to look it up online would be www.etis.ford.com

Was it ordered, or was it purchased from the dealer on 3/20/12? I would recommend taking the car to the dealer though if its over heating and shutting down as something is obviously wrong, and repeatably so if it occurred twice.

SulavT 09-09-2012 08:45 PM

It was built on Feb 8th 2012. And it was ordered, and the car itself is not shutting down, I just ignore the message, It goes up and down randomly. I just get the message, It doesn't shut down.

suss6052 09-09-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulavT (Post 4344571)
It was built on Feb 8th 2012. And it was ordered, and the car itself is not shutting down, I just ignore the message, It goes up and down randomly. I just get the message, It doesn't shut down.

Is it actually over heating and are you getting reduced performance? If so then it needs to be fixed immediately. If its just the sensor or something it still needs to be fixed under warranty.

SulavT 09-09-2012 08:52 PM

No I don't think its actually overheating and no reduced performance. It gives me that signal 5 - 10 min of me driving it granted it's been rested all night. What do you think?

suss6052 09-09-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulavT (Post 4344586)
No I don't think its actually overheating and no reduced performance. It gives me that signal 5 - 10 min of me driving it granted it's been rested all night. What do you think?

Take it to the dealer as soon as possible, it needs to be looked at and repaired.

It should be covered under warranty, it might just be a temperature sensor, but the service technicians would be better qualified to diagnose the car than some one over the internet. You're not smelling hot coolant?

Timthom62 09-09-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SulavT (Post 4344586)

Is there any corresponding movement of the engine coolant temperature gauge?