Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   End of the "Ranger" in North America.Good or bad news for Ford? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297295)

Mazingo 09-09-2012 04:35 PM

End of the "Ranger" in North America.Good or bad news for Ford?

While a new 2013 Ranger will be available for the rest of the World,North Americans will not have the compact Ford truck anymore.

The reason seems to be that Ford think that the new Ranger will rob sales from the F-150.And their idea, is that former Rangers owners will stay with Ford and go for the F-150 V6 and Ecoboost.The reality could be very different.The reason most people got the Ranger,was that the small truck was very compact,cheap to buy and fuel efficient with the 4cyl engine.Also,most pick-up truck owners don,t really need it but like the convenience of the rear box for the few times a year they actually need it.So if they can buy one that will be cheap to buy,own and won't take too much room in the driveway ,they will definitely go for that.

So,will Rangers owners replace their small truck for the bigger and more expensive F-150? Or will they simply go see GM,Toyota and Nissan to get another small truck that will better suit their needs?

And will Ford gamble pay off or they're simply shooting themselves in the foot by killing off the small truck from their lineup?

GN Prime 09-09-2012 04:44 PM

shooting themselves in the foot, i think:( i drove my dads f150 after he died for awhile until we could sell it and it was in no way comparable to my splash! i think in a big city a ranger was perfect, try parallel parking a super crew LWB f150, not fun at all! i do see people leaving and going to another company unfortunately. my mom, who has a '99 ranger, that is on its last leg, has to get a new vehicle. she was dreaming of getting a brand new ranger on a-plan, until i crushed her dreams and showed the article in motortrend. she now has to settle for an escape, which she is not happy about:(

JMR1624 09-09-2012 04:45 PM

Ford screwed this one up just like they did by stopping production on the crown Vic before the release of the police interceptor. Now I'm seein dodge staties and locals all over the place. We lost our fleet sales, the service contracts and the parts sales. Thanks ford. Not to mention the fact we all have to get used to those charger headlights so we know when to slow down lol ;) but yeah, small truck owners want small trucks IMHO

ZimDalf 09-09-2012 05:01 PM

When I bought my focus I was in the market for that size/type of vehicle. If Ford didn't have it I would have got something else. I guess it depends on whether more people would stay true to Ford if they already liked Ford or if they are more in the market for a size and type of vehicle. For me my last car was a GM so going to Ford was about a good product at a good price not brand loyalty.

Mazingo 09-09-2012 05:01 PM

Would you imagine how well they would sell the new Ranger with a 3.7l V6?

xxMichaelAnthony 09-09-2012 05:08 PM

Olds news. Last one rolled off the line almost a year ago.

cbdallas 09-09-2012 05:12 PM

What Ford isn't accountibg for is that people will get what they want regardless of what brand they have to switch to to get it. Since the Ranger was the last viable compact U.S. offering, Toyota will now be seeing increased traffic on the Tacoma section of their lots. Those that intend to stick with domestic brands will have to wait for the new Colorado.

JMR1624 09-09-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony (Post 4344194)

Yes it is old news but apparently he wanted to talk about it today lol

Mazingo 09-09-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony (Post 4344194)

I didn't create the thread as "News".But as a discussion on the aftermath of Ford's decision.

Darthenstein 09-09-2012 06:08 PM

I wonder why they don't just make a simple 4x2 Ecoboost F150 and call it the Ranger as a trim package?