Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Steering Rack Issue (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297157)

joe77 09-07-2012 02:43 PM

Steering Rack Issue

I have a question: My car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks now due to a minor accident which caused some body damage and tire/struts on one side, plus the steering rack. My insurance is taking care of the costs etc.

The dealer told me the steering rack is on national backorder and cant give me a time frame for it. Has anyone else have this problem?

ruthrj 09-07-2012 03:30 PM

Had the power steering rack replaced on my 2012 Focus back in May of this year before Ford bought my car back. Here's the thread concerning the power steering failures: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269983

Backorder seems to stem from this TSB:

2012 Ford Focus Steering Service Bulletin 107553

NHTSA: Action Number: 10039118Service Bulletin Number: 107553
Report Date:
May 04, 2011Component:
Steering
Summary: Ford: there may be steering assist warning lights as well as well as a stored trouble code. 2012 focus. *rm

As I can't see the rest of that TSB, I believe the official resolution was to replace the steering rack like they did on my vehicle.

Some Guy From NY 09-07-2012 03:50 PM

This is why the steering is on back order:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282053

TSB 12-02-17.

The steering rack has to be replaced under this TSB, for probably tens of thousands of cars including mine. It took 6 weeks for them to get me a new steering rack, and they had to get it from CANADA because it is so back-ordered.

You may be in for a wait.

joe77 09-07-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY (Post 4340699)
This is why the steering is on back order:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282053

TSB 12-02-17.

The steering rack has to be replaced under this TSB, for probably tens of thousands of cars including mine. It took 6 weeks for them to get me a new steering rack, and they had to get it from CANADA because it is so back-ordered.

You may be in for a wait.

6 weeks! I feel sick. Thanks for the input.

sgmfocus 09-07-2012 04:21 PM

your looking at a 3 to 6 week wait ,unfortunately your dealer can't tell when your parts are going to arrive until they get them(the status in computer doesn't change until the dealer gets parts) think they ship direct from manufacturer

Some Guy From NY 09-07-2012 05:10 PM

I see you are from Staten Island, a fellow new yorker! I'm from BK...did you buy your focus at Dana Ford?

joe77 09-08-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY (Post 4340778)
I see you are from Staten Island, a fellow new yorker! I'm from BK...did you buy your focus at Dana Ford?

Bay Ridge Ford

Some Guy From NY 09-08-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe77 (Post 4341740)
Bay Ridge Ford

NOOOOOOOOO!

If you read the steering issue thread I posted earlier, the last 2-3 pages details the issues I had with them. They replaced my steering rack and then did not do the alignment correctly. They started to argue with me about how they shouldn't have taken my car in to fix because they are in the process of changing locations of the service department.

They moved into their new service department at the Brooklyn army terminal...I assume you have been there if they are doing the repairs...the building itself is nowhere close to being complete - It has no walls! and they are fixing cars inside of it! When I got my car back, I was able to scoop out with my hand, HANDFULS of concrete dust. Luckily I have Husky Liners and they contained the piles of dust and dirt.

joe77 09-08-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY (Post 4341758)
NOOOOOOOOO!

If you read the steering issue thread I posted earlier, the last 2-3 pages details the issues I had with them. They replaced my steering rack and then did not do the alignment correctly. They started to argue with me about how they shouldn't have taken my car in to fix because they are in the process of changing locations of the service department.

They moved into their new service department at the Brooklyn army terminal...I assume you have been there if they are doing the repairs...the building itself is nowhere close to being complete - It has no walls! and they are fixing cars inside of it! When I got my car back, I was able to scoop out with my hand, HANDFULS of concrete dust. Luckily I have Husky Liners and they contained the piles of dust and dirt.

lol...God, I had to deal with Honda in the past, and though as good as the car was, the service people where very generic robotic 'bend over gimme your money' types with no customer service skills whatsoever.

I really was hoping this would not be the case now with Ford. The sales experience was great and the service so far has been ok, but I hate leaving messages and not receiving an answer. I work in sales and customer service is very important to me, whether bad or good news, I respond right away.

The new facility looks like it will be a high tech place ,eventually, but I feel bad for those mechanics working on the cars in the heat with all the construction going around them, their concentration has to be tough doing hard labor like this and it may carry over to us, the customers....

The few reasons I chose Ford was 1. I wanted to buy an American car for once 2. I liked the car 3. The Ford customer service people interaction on this site. I see Thomas was a big help. Ill visit the service early this week again since they dont like returning calls and giving me a straight answer.

Thanks for your input.

Some Guy From NY 09-08-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe77 (Post 4341857)
lol...God, I had to deal with Honda in the past, and though as good as the car was, the service people where very generic robotic 'bend over gimme your money' types with no customer service skills whatsoever.

I really was hoping this would not be the case now with Ford. The sales experience was great and the service so far has been ok, but I hate leaving messages and not receiving an answer. I work in sales and customer service is very important to me, whether bad or good news, I respond right away.

The new facility looks like it will be a high tech place ,eventually, but I feel bad for those mechanics working on the cars in the heat with all the construction going around them, their concentration has to be tough doing hard labor like this and it may carry over to us, the customers....

The few reasons I chose Ford was 1. I wanted to buy an American car for once 2. I liked the car 3. The Ford customer service people interaction on this site. I see Thomas was a big help. Ill visit the service early this week again since they dont like returning calls and giving me a straight answer.

Thanks for your input.

Getting in contact with them was the most frustrating thing! I literally called over 5 times a day for 3 days to get answers. I would call, get put on hold, then told the service manager was busy and they would call me back...2 hours later still no call, so I would call again, finally get them, they wouldn't know the answer and would promise to call me back shortly, a few hours later again no call, I would call back and they wouldn't be in so I would need to try again later......IT NEVER ENDED[mad]