Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   fluid leaking from bellhousing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297078)

svtcliff 09-06-2012 07:48 PM

fluid leaking from bellhousing

trying to see if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it. so i replaced my engine around 7k ago. i picked up a used engine and before i installed it i had the rear main seal replaced. i did it as i have on countless others. well about a week after i installed the engine i started noticing the few drops on the pavement. so i assumed the seal may have just been a defect. about 2k ago i pulled the engine again to replace the seal and the clutch. when i inspected the bell housing area i didnt notice any obvous oil near the seal. nor did the clutch and flywheel have any oil saturation.(main reason i was changing the clutch was i assumed that it was slipping do to oil on it). so with it out i installed another seal. once the seal was in i became unsatisfied so i at that point removed the rear main seal housing to press it it. also replaced both pan gaskets and the housing gasket to eleminate the problem. also checked crankshaft for any imperfections. so installed it again and yep you guessed it its still leaks a few drops everytime its parked. its coming from the hole at the bottom of the bellhousing area. the input shaft seal did not appear to be leaking nor did it leak before i put the engine in. also i constantly check the trans fluid and its not low or going down. a local machanic said it could be the pcv valve (which i used from the other motor) thats not opening. only thing i can guess is that its pushing passed the seal under pressure? anyone else have any idea? wanting to sell the car and dont feel right doing it with the leak.

Mile30 09-06-2012 08:27 PM

If the PCV is the culprit, trans fluid wouldn't be what you're finding in the driveway! Are the drips you mentioned definitely trans?

svtcliff 09-06-2012 08:56 PM

No I've ruled them out as trans fluid. Its deff motor oil. Its just not a major leak. Just 2 to 3 drops when the car is parked. I've changed the seal twice and still leaks.

Mile30 09-06-2012 09:17 PM

You could get some oil dye and a blacklight... may speed up finding the source! Other than that; nothing leaks up, so it may be something stupid in between the intake runners.

iminhell 09-07-2012 01:48 AM

I'm just curious how well you cleaned the BH?

I know that fluids can get trapped in the casting voids. Heating/case expansion can allow trapped fluids to leak.
For instance, I blew a coolant line. Replaced it and cleaned everything up. Few months later replaced a clutch and there was still coolant hiding in the voids. It did appear to leak every once in a while but nothing ever went low.

IIRC it's only the lowest void that has a drain hole. The rest and closed.

Just something to think about.

svtcliff 09-07-2012 07:17 AM

I sprayed the area out with some brake cleaner. there wasn't a lot of oil in it really. The engine side wasn't to bad either but I cleaned it really well to promote the gasket sealing.

84572 09-10-2012 11:26 AM

What's the color of the drops on the floor? You sure it's not oil from the tranny.

whichdoctorbilly? 09-30-2012 05:51 PM

could it be coolant from the thermostat housing leaking

cbdallas 09-30-2012 09:54 PM

If you're sure it's engine oil, and you're sure it's coming from inside the bell housing (instead of down the seam from somewhere up top) then your rear main seal is leaking.

GBPackFan 10-01-2012 09:02 AM

I know that this is going to sound bad or stupid; but the next time you see the "droppings" on the pavement, touch them. Rub your fingers together to see what the slickness is, then lightly taste the fluid. Is the fluid very slick with low viscosity and a nasty taste, or is it mildly slick, with a higher viscosity and sweet to the taste? If it is very slick and nasty tasting, then you have oil. If it is mildly slick and sweet tasting, then you have coolant.
Sometimes the pesky thermostat housing can leak, and when it does it leaks on to, around, and off the bottom of the bell housing...

Hope this helps.. Oh, and please don't go tasting large amounts of fluid or swallowing anything that you taste. Spit it out after you taste it...