Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296979)

Dysan911 09-05-2012 02:22 PM

Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL
 
I took my car in because there's oil seeping from between the Engine and The Transmission. Also a very metallic rattle when the car is in 6th gear and low RPM's. Like going up an incline at almost 40mph.

I just got a call and they said the tech couldn't reproduce the noise and the Oil leak is normal. Its not oil she said,. its some sort of factory fluid that they use during assembly and quite normal for it to leak.

I have officially HEARD THEM ALL now!. THank you FORD!.

I told her that It never did that before and she said that the Tech has had quite a few cases where they saw that same leak and contacted Ford and was told that was a Normal condition of this vehicle. [facepalm]

cbdallas 09-05-2012 02:27 PM

Why would they contact Ford about a leak? This sounds like a big, fat lie to me.

Take it to a different dealer, and when they fix it, call Ford & tell them this story. No car should be leaking ANY kind of fluid, regardless if it was used during assembly (which is B.S.)

scott7278 09-05-2012 02:52 PM

^^This.

kam327 09-05-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4336958)
Why would they contact Ford about a leak? This sounds like a big, fat lie to me.

Take it to a different dealer, and when they fix it, call Ford & tell them this story. No car should be leaking ANY kind of fluid, regardless if it was used during assembly (which is B.S.)

Agree it sounds fishy. But why would one dealer lie to get out of fixing something under warranty when another will gladly do it? Maybe some dealers don't like taking on higher-risk warranty work?

BetaDnB 09-05-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4337002)
Agree it sounds fishy. But why would one dealer lie to get out of fixing something under warranty when another will gladly do it? Maybe some dealers don't like taking on higher-risk warranty work?

The dealer I was going to wouldn't even do the washer fluid level sensor tsb because my car "isn't equipped". Went to another dealer and guess what...it was fixed.

While I agree no new vehicle should have any leaks, if you bought a Harley you'd expect it to leak oil as a normal condition.

Kabigon 09-05-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dysan911 (Post 4336952)
I took my car in because there's oil seeping from between the Engine and The Transmission. Also a very metallic rattle when the car is in 6th gear and low RPM's. Like going up an incline at almost 40mph.

I just got a call and they said the tech couldn't reproduce the noise and the Oil leak is normal. Its not oil she said,. its some sort of factory fluid that they use during assembly and quite normal for it to leak.

I have officially HEARD THEM ALL now!. THank you FORD!.

I told her that It never did that before and she said that the Tech has had quite a few cases where they saw that same leak and contacted Ford and was told that was a Normal condition of this vehicle. [facepalm]


From TSB 11-12-13:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the base of the transmission clutch housing for evidence of transmission fluid leak. Transmission fluid will be slick versus sticky. If the fluid leak is sticky and honey colored, it may be mistaken for engine oil or transmission lubricant. This condition may be caused by excessive rust inhibitor applied to the flywheel during manufacturing. Wipe clean the rust inhibitor from the transmission housing with Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent.

Are you saying that the TSB is wrong or that you are sure that it wasn't rust inhibitor?

gostinger 09-05-2012 03:14 PM

I have the exact same problem with the oil leakage, and its also around the valve cover as well. Haven't taken it in for them to look at it yet.

Dysan911 09-05-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4337031)
From TSB 11-12-13:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Inspect the base of the transmission clutch housing for evidence of transmission fluid leak. Transmission fluid will be slick versus sticky. If the fluid leak is sticky and honey colored, it may be mistaken for engine oil or transmission lubricant. This condition may be caused by excessive rust inhibitor applied to the flywheel during manufacturing. Wipe clean the rust inhibitor from the transmission housing with Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent.

Are you saying that the TSB is wrong or that you are sure that it wasn't rust inhibitor?

This is precisely the TSB they're basing things off of. I showed up a little while ago to take a test ride with the actual Service Manager and of course you could barely hear the noise. He said that's normal and it's just how a manual transmission would sound if you were lugging along in too low a gear. Well you'd think the programming of the DCT would prevent that and downshift a gear. Ugh.

So we got back to the dealership and he went into research the leak and referenced another TSB that involves replacing some Seals. They told me they would order those and give me a call to bring the car back in when the parts get in. He also said there's a TSB procedure they have to run through to determine if they will proceed with the seal replacements so I'll have to wait and find out what they discover. I guess they have to be certain its truly OIL and not that rust inhibitor stuff.

So at least thats something. I'll know more in a couple weeks I guess.

unfocused1 09-05-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4336958)
Why would they contact Ford about a leak? This sounds like a big, fat lie to me.

Take it to a different dealer, and when they fix it, call Ford & tell them this story. No car should be leaking ANY kind of fluid, regardless if it was used during assembly (which is B.S.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott7278 (Post 4336990)
^^This.

Seconded.

Mine does not leak.

Most peoples' cars don't.

Nor should they.

That dealer, or at least it's mechanical department, should feel ashamed, if nothing else more pragmatic. People really should be sick of outright lies being pawned off to paying customers, which is no way to run a business - either successfully or in any other form. Is there no ethics, no justice, no fairness, no anything anymore?

GoldenHour 09-05-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kam327 (Post 4337002)
Agree it sounds fishy. But why would one dealer lie to get out of fixing something under warranty when another will gladly do it? Maybe some dealers don't like taking on higher-risk warranty work?

before the warranty expired on one of my trucks i took it in and told the dealer i wanted all leaks fixed. when i got my truck back i still had a seal leaking. the reason it wasn't replaced was because the dealer felt the reimbursement wasn't high enough. after a bunch of double talk and my persistence the seal was replaced.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp