Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Oil Change Price Specials (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296911)

focusauto01 09-04-2012 08:11 PM

Oil Change Price Specials

I used to change oil for a handful of people at my old Factory. It seems like I have less and less customers despite the high oil prices, it seems all the local oil change places such as GoodYear are doing specials around 16.00-19.00. I can't even get oil and a filter that much, much less make anything off of it? You guys noticed these deals lately?

YesMAN 09-04-2012 08:19 PM

Makes you wonder what quality oil and filter they're using.

elsolo 09-04-2012 09:12 PM

They make their money selling you other services while you get the cheap oil change. YOU might not get the $1000 brake service because they suggest you need it, but enough people do to make the cheap oil change a moneymaker in the bigger picture.

rambleon84 09-04-2012 09:14 PM

its going to be cheaper oils/filters and cross selling. just got an ad in the mail today telling me mobil1 and their filter is on sale for $30 at advance, ill be doing that this week.

mikebontoft 09-04-2012 09:22 PM

30? I believe oreillys (I should know I worked there for a brief time) had a sale on 5 quarts Mobil one conventional oil and a fram filter for $9.99 and a $5 mail in rebate. yeah.

xxMichaelAnthony 09-04-2012 10:18 PM

From what friends have told me, Jiffy Lube's unwritten "company policy" is that employees must try to up sell at least $65 in other services even if they aren't needed. All lube and tune places make their money on up sells to their favourite type of customers, people who don't know shit about cars. I stay away from all these quick lube places, including Walmart, no matter what deals they have. Way to many horror stories come out of them. I stick to Midas down the street. $30 with tire rotation and everything gets done proper. Worst I've had happen from them is a cross threaded wheel stud and they over filled my oil once. And they always have filters in stock. Most quick lube places, if they don't have the proper filter in stock, will just wipe off the one that is already there and call it changed...

Elizabeth 09-04-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsolo (Post 4335900)
They make their money selling you other services while you get the cheap oil change. YOU might not get the $1000 brake service because they suggest you need it, but enough people do to make the cheap oil change a moneymaker in the bigger picture.

Absolutely. They are selling this at cost, to get folks in the door.
Even if they sell other stuff to only every third person. they can make money.
Struts, shocks, tires, antifreeze flush, all sorts of stuff.

DJ2BIG 09-04-2012 11:01 PM

My car dealer sends out free oil changes to 3 year old customers in hopes of selling them a new car, guess what it works!

scott7278 09-04-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focusauto01 (Post 4335825)
I used to change oil for a handful of people at my old Factory. It seems like I have less and less customers despite the high oil prices, it seems all the local oil change places such as GoodYear are doing specials around 16.00-19.00. I can't even get oil and a filter that much, much less make anything off of it? You guys noticed these deals lately?

They use the cheap oil change as a loss leader...they're willing to do so by upcharging for other services.

#1fordfan 09-05-2012 07:47 AM

many many years ago against my better judgement I worked at an oil change place for a couple years. This one was an independent owner,not a franchise. This guy was honest to the core. If you tried selling a customer a new air filter,wipers,whatever,it better damn well need changed!! You took a hit in commission if you got caught selling things when it wasn't needed. This guy had a great reputation in the area and made a lot of money in his business. And he did use quality oil(pennzoil or quaker state,can't remember which). but he got huge discounts because he bought in bulk. He had a computer program that when the license plate number was entered into it,it would give the history of oil changes,air filters,whatever so you would know by mileage if it was due to be changed or even needed checked.