Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Remote Trunk Release (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296792)

danyall2010 09-03-2012 12:15 AM

Remote Trunk Release

It seems like Ford has quietly added that feature. It is not on the "S" model, but it is on the Titanium model. The jury is still out for "SE," since I was able to look at the interior pictures of only the S and Titanium on Ebay. Here is the link to the Titanium trunk release. Click on picture 49.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TITAN...orcev4exp=true

Some Guy From NY 09-03-2012 01:31 AM

It is nice to see they added an interior trunk release button. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about this car...I have an SEL sedan and it is just so odd to not have a trunk release button inside the car.

However-

That is the WORST spot for the button! Imagine driving highway speeds and you accidentally press the trunk release instead of the fog light button? What were they thinking?

Altis 09-03-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY (Post 4333509)
It is nice to see they added an interior trunk release button. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about this car...I have an SEL sedan and it is just so odd to not have a trunk release button inside the car.

However-

That is the WORST spot for the button! Imagine driving highway speeds and you accidentally press the trunk release instead of the fog light button? What were they thinking?

First, why do you need a release button inside when the sedan and hatch both have buttons right at the trunk itself? That's so much better than having to wait for someone inside the car to pop it, when you can open it yourself.

Second, have you ever accidentally turned on your fog lights? In any case, 99% chance that the button won't open the trunk unless the car is stopped and parked (as is the case currently).

Some Guy From NY 09-03-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altis (Post 4333513)
First, why do you need a release button inside when the sedan and hatch both have buttons right at the trunk itself? That's so much better than having to wait for someone inside the car to pop it, when you can open it yourself.

Second, have you ever accidentally turned on your fog lights? In any case, 99% chance that the button won't open the trunk unless the car is stopped and parked (as is the case currently).

I guess I am just old school and like having the button for the trunk inside the car to open for others. The car has to be unlocked in order for the trunk to be opened from the handle, correct? Why have to unlock the car AND press the button to open the trunk, when I could just press a trunk release button from inside? One step instead of two...

Also I do not understand your comparison of accidentally turning on fog lights...if you look at the photo, the button for the trunk is directly under the fog light button which is small. I could easily see someone trying to turn on their fog lights while driving and accidentally pressing the trunk release instead. If however the button is only activated when the car is in park, that is fine.

Hodge Podge 09-03-2012 06:28 AM

Not sure about sedans, but on the hatches, the struts are setup to push the hatch shut until it's more than roughly 1/4-1/3 open. Somewhere around that point, they go over-center and start to push the hatch open.

So even if you were to hit the button, and assuming there is no override that locks it out while in gear, it's probably not going to fly open and eject stuff in a James Bond fashion...[unsure]...the potential as an "anti-tailgating" device is worth considering however...

Altis 09-03-2012 09:14 AM

I think the sedans do pop the trunk halfway or so.

The fog like "comparison" was just to say that I don't think it's easy to accidentally press that new trunk button. I honestly don't know if I've ever used my fog lights in the past year, so I'm not used to using the button, but I don't think it would be hard to press the right one. The dash light brightness buttons work the same way, haven't gotten those mixed yet ;) still, I see no need for a button inside. The Cruze is the same way, with that ever so handy button right at the trunk. Makes the other way of having a button inside the car seem to dated and unnecessary, IMHO.

A snack for some thought... I think the trunk release (pop) on the key fob still works when the car is running, so long as it's in park (or parking brake is on if it's a MT).

Some Guy From NY 09-03-2012 11:12 AM

For the sedan the trunk pops ALL THE WAY OPEN. On mine anyway. I have had to actually warn people standing next to my trunk waiting for me to open it to STAND BACK or else they could get smacked with it.

Even when opening the trunk by the button in the handle, if you are not HOLDING the handle tight and press the button, the trunk FLIES ALL THE WAY OPEN.

1slofofo 09-03-2012 11:38 AM

I have experimented and I couldn't open the trunk while the car is moving, it has to be stopped, you can be in drive but have to be stopped for it to open

Twenty 09-03-2012 11:40 AM

Keep in mind folks that Mustangs have the release button right on the center console by the shifter, even easier to reach. I think they would know to have appropriate safeties in place.

scottjl 09-07-2012 08:29 AM

semi-useful in the Ti and I wouldn't mind if I did have it but I don't exactly miss it that I don't. I can either hit the button on the fob, or more easily, just grab and open the hatch anyway, since the Ti senses the fob nearby and unlocks the hatch when you pull it. never been an issue for me. I would think the S and SE owners would want this more than the Ti owners.