Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus Tuning Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Tune Issues (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296753)

tspitts 09-02-2012 03:06 PM

Tune Issues

I posted this in another thread but am re-posting it under this new thread so that it does not get lost over there.

I have Tom's tune and want to throw this out and see if anyone else has these issues with Tom's or anyone else's tune. My SVTF had a tune on it when I bought it and I got Tom's tune around the beginning of this year to see if I could get a little more out of the car short of going FI. After loading the tune, the car runs 100% better off the line but has the following problems:

1. Every now and then, when I push in the clutch when coming to a stop, RPMs immediately drop off and the car stalls. I pulled the IACV and cleaned it out.
2. When cruising at 50 - 60 mph, car has a definite stutter almost like a plug is misfiring.
3. Car throws a CEL. If I remember correctly, it was P0133 having to do with the upstream O2 sensor.

I finally went back to the old tune and don't have any of the problems with this other tune. After running the old tune for a few months, I tried reloading Tom's tune yesterday and problems 1 & 2 immediately came back. I am not taking anything away from Tom because I love how the car accelerates with his tune and he has been very responsive in trying to address these issues. Unfortunately, nothing shows up on a datalog to indicate what is causing these issues. Since I would love to go back to running his tune, has anyone else had similar issues for which they have found a solution? Thanks.

TopGearTerror 09-02-2012 05:20 PM

No expert on tuning, but while perusing tuning threads I had read about similar symptoms coming from either a faulty or misconnected MAF sensor. Check that, maybe?

Edit: What also leads me to this conclusion is it sounds symptomatic of a fuel/air mixture imbalance. Your car is running under it's own power while the clutch is forcing the engine to turn over, but when you push in the clutch and separate the wheels from the engine, it cannot keep itself running. You also mentioned that stutter at cruising speeds.

1turbofocus 09-02-2012 05:25 PM

How many datalog have you sent me , Problems 1 and 2 I can adjust , problem 3 has more to do with the o2 , placement , etc

Sorry hard to do names , email names , forum names , IM names etc

Tom

tspitts 09-02-2012 06:08 PM

Tom - looking at my laptop, it appears I have sent you 7 datalog files. Should I run another one tomorrow and send it to you? Thanks.

1turbofocus 09-02-2012 08:26 PM

If your having issues never stop sending me datalogs till I tell you its something other then an issues with the tune and even then I will give you things to test or check , If I send you a tune for an issue and dont hear back then I am guessing its fixed and your good to go

The issue with the stalling has to be done in small steps or you will go from stalling to flair when you push in the clutch , high revs when you cone to a stop etc

Tom

tspitts 09-02-2012 08:36 PM

Thanks Tom. I will do a datalog in the morning and send it to you. Is there anything special I should do on this datalog or just the normal 5 minute session with some aggressive driving thrown in?

swansong 11-12-2012 10:02 AM

Gonna bump this to ask if any resolution was found. I'm having the exact same symptoms, #1, #2, and #3. Recently replaced O2 sensor with new Motorcraft part, but still throws P0133. I'm in the process of datalogging the problems with Tom.

NemesisEnforcer 02-18-2013 11:10 PM

Just a bump for the two guys. Was this issue fixed?

swansong 02-19-2013 06:57 AM

Yes, and two things helped. One was replacing the front O2 sensor, then making sure to reset the ECU by disconnecting the the negative battery cable for a few minutes (which should be done anytime an electrical component or sensor is replaced - d'oh!), and the other was a datalog session with Tom. He was able to tweak the tune little by little until my stalling disappeared.