Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Titanium Handling Package - Winter Tires (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296443)

Bard_Titanium 08-29-2012 12:08 PM

Titanium Handling Package - Winter Tires

So I'm new here and I've been searching through the forums for an answer but couldn't find anything.

I just bought a 2012 Titanium Hatchback with the Handling Package. I live in Southeast Michigan so I'm looking to get a second pair of tires/wheels for winter.

I'm looking for some opinions from you guys as to whether I should get ONLY new tires and have them mounted/unmounted every spring and fall on the 18" wheels, or get some different wheels and tires and just replace the entire wheel each spring and fall.

For me personally, I'd rather only get new tires and have them remounted. One of the main reason I wanted the handling package was for those rims, I think they look awesome. I was looking at two different tires (not sure if they'll fit), Michelin Pilot Apline 3 or the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. And the other reason I'd like to remount on the OEM wheel is because I ended up getting the tire/wheel protection package from Ford, so even if anything happens to the wheels, there covered.

So bottom line, if you guys can recommend which route you would take and give me some advice on either those two tires (or others) and whether they will fit on the existing 18" rims.

Thanks!

focus_guy_03 08-29-2012 12:15 PM

I would to a second set of wheels/tires, that way you don't have the salt eating away at the THP wheels over the winter, which would potentially save you the headache of having to deal with Ford on the wheel/tire protection thing. That, and it's far easier to swap wheels over each fall and spring vs. having to go to a tire shop/dealer to have the tires swapped over.

Mike

Bard_Titanium 08-29-2012 12:28 PM

Can you provide any input on a new tire size that would still work with the THP? I'd like to stick with either 17 or 18" rims, with winter tires.

Geezer 08-29-2012 12:56 PM

16's (215/55-16 tires) would be the best option for snow performance. I recommend an extra set of wheels as well. The cost of switching out the tires can be expensive once you add in the mounting, balancing, and servicing the TPMS (new seal kits are commonly required). This can easily cost you 20 to 30.00 per tire (80.00 to 120.00) twice a year (spring and fall). You should get three to four seasons (mileage may vary) from a set of snow tires. The cost of mounting and balancing alone over that period of time usually pays for a set of dedicated wheels for the snow tires.

Altis 08-29-2012 07:37 PM

Winter tires in 18s tend to be pretty pricey, and hitting ice/torn up roads (by plows), etc can risk damage. 16s are good, 17s should be okay too.

We used to switch tires on rims, but we got some flats, and apparently that was why.

Joey D 08-29-2012 10:23 PM

It'll cost a fortune to keep swapping tires like that unless you are buddy buddy with a tire shop.

If you want something with an OEM look to it MOMO Winter 2's are a great alternative and you'll be able to get them in 17's which opens the door up for performance winter tires. I have the MOMO's and the Pilot Alpin 3's on my Titanium for the winter and they work fantastic, I'm in SE Michigan too. You won't have to worry about the squishy feeling you get with normal winter tires and I can cruise at 85 on the Alpin's all day long with no problem at all.

DEREKC 08-30-2012 08:18 PM

I would recommend going with the new 16" wheels and Blizzak WS70 tires.

VH5150 08-31-2012 08:11 PM

You could even go with 15s. I just ordered a set of 15" alloys for my Ti since I already have a set of Blizzaks that were on the old Protege5. Definitely go with a second set of tires/wheels. Get inexpensive wheels and good snows-you'll probably save money in the long run since you won't have to pay for mounting and balancing twice a year. Plus, it would be a crime to run those beautiful 18" Ti rims in the winter!

Focus YBTC 09-04-2012 12:45 PM

The auto pressure sensor thing throws a monkey wrench into the second set of tires and wheels idea for me. A second set is $186 at tireack.com so I imagine they'll be even more at a local tire shop. The alternative is swapping the sensors to the other wheel/tire set and having them reset with the tool. How hard is it to transfer the sensors? Will doing this really be less expensive than changing winter tires over to the same wheels? Is it possible to do this myself?

At the moment I'm kind of inclined to keep my OEM 18 Ti wheels as my winter wheels with 18 winter tires and have my OEM Michelin summer 18s put on different 18 wheels in the spring. The question mark is the tire pressure sensor issue.

VH5150 09-04-2012 07:39 PM

I can live with the TPMS warning at startup for a couple of months if it means saving close to $200. I'll swap my sensors over when I get some nicer 17s for the warm weather, but for the winter tires, it's just not worth it to me. It's not going to hurt anything by running without the sensors.