Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   seats and back pain (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296417)

quikstang2 08-29-2012 01:45 AM

seats and back pain

I used to have a 2000 SE wagon. For some reason the seats wrecked my back. Also drove a friend's first generation Mazda 5 on a road trip for four hours, and my back was mangled by the time I got home. My Ranger seat felt like a La-Z-Boy when I sat in it after that.

I've had a ton of people say that the seats don't hurt their back, so there's no problem. I don't want to debate that. I know my back is not perfect, and that's where the problem is. I don't know why the Focus seat sets me off so badly. I haven't noticed it in any other vehicles, yet.

I'm, once again, considering selling the truck and getting another wagon, for various reasons. I don't mind finding different seats, as long as they bolt straight in. I'll get tracks from one car and a seat from another, but I don't want to splice seat rails together. Ideally, if there's another model or year Focus seat that bolts right in, that would be great. I'm also not sure if the 2005-2007 seats were any different. I know the SVT seats were, but I've never sat in them. I'm not really asking "what seat swaps work?" because I can search that and keep trying them all until I find one that I like. I'm trying to find something better in comparison to those seats.

So my main question is: Given that the 2000-2004 Focus seats kill my back (specifically lower back), what other compatible seats do you think I should try? Or which other ones should I avoid?

Thanks guys. If I find a promising solution to this, I'll probably start car hunting.

Chris_HT 08-29-2012 01:55 AM

Most of the seats are not really kind to my spine, but I must say my SVT's leather seats (not recaros) are a bless, I do advise you to try them out somehow.

Notorious0ne 08-29-2012 11:08 AM

I have to agree with you. The cloth seats in the focus kill my back as well. I now have the SVT recaros with lumbar and its a blessing from god having those in there

quikstang2 08-29-2012 12:06 PM

So there's two SVT seats? Non-Recaro and Recaro? Didn't know that. Either way, it sounds like I should give both a try if I can find them.
Thanks guys!

xxMichaelAnthony 08-29-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quikstang2 (Post 4327047)
So there's two SVT seats? Non-Recaro and Recaro? Didn't know that. Either way, it sounds like I should give both a try if I can find them.
Thanks guys!

Standard SVT seats
http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f...2Binterior.jpg

SVT EAP Recaros
http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery...21Interior.jpg

Never had any problems in my seat even while recovering from back surgery. The seats and my back surgery arent linked in any way. lol Now the seat in my Ranger, that thing killed my back.

Sniper Focus 08-29-2012 03:24 PM

I used to drive company Foci all day and they all have a bar that drive into my lower back plus I like the cushion positioned all the way down, but it leaves a huge uncomfortable gap between the bottom and the seat back. I driven my buddy's Recaro EAP before and it was a night and day difference in comfort. If my buddy didn't sell me his EAP for a steal then I would've bought a replacement Mustang just because of those horrible standard seats.

BLRich1 08-29-2012 03:29 PM

the standard SVT seats came in blue too, if that matters.

I would defiantly try and find some recaros to sit in to see if you like them. I love them and my dad says the standard svts are more comfortable for him. As you know, its about what feels good to you.

mainest 08-29-2012 08:33 PM

Echoing everything said above, I have an '05 ST, the stock seats of which were very uncomfortable! I bought seats from an '03 SVT, swapped them into the ST, and it's like night and day, especially on long highway trips. I now have an '04 SVT EAP with the Recaros, and they are even better! The only issue will be, that Focus seats are model year specific for the SRS, meaning that if you have an '03 Focus, you will need seats from an '03 SVT. Good luck!

quikstang2 08-29-2012 10:19 PM

You know what, the Recaro seats look fairly similar to my SVO seats. I love those things. I think I'm leaning that way. Given that, I assume these are the harder to find and more expensive seats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony (Post 4327080)
Never had any problems in my seat even while recovering from back surgery. The seats and my back surgery arent linked in any way. lol

Haha! Thanks for answering my next question in advance!
Thanks for the pics. I remember seeing the standard SVT seat from back when I was all into the Focus stuff... even though I wasn't over enthusiastic.
"It's all coming back to me now," said the blind man peeing into the wind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLRich1 (Post 4327362)
the standard SVT seats came in blue too, if that matters.

Well I am CDO. So yes, it would matter. If I got a red car, I'd want red seats. Blue car, blue seats. Of course there's this thing where I hate red, so I'll just aim for the blue ones if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLRich1 (Post 4327362)
I would defiantly try and find some recaros to sit in to see if you like them. I love them and my dad says the standard svts are more comfortable for him. As you know, its about what feels good to you.

Yeah, the plan was to try and find someone with both. Hopefully I'd be able to ride shotgun for a decent trip or two in order to really tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainest (Post 4327789)
The only issue will be, that Focus seats are model year specific for the SRS, meaning that if you have an '03 Focus, you will need seats from an '03 SVT. Good luck!

Oh yeah... I forgot about that fancy newfangled stuff like airbags that none of my 1984 stuff has. Thanks for pointing that out. This will probably dictate what year wagon I'm willing to buy.
SVT was 2002 to 2004, right? So, for me, that would rule out 2000-2001 and 2005-2007, unless I found a dead SVT donor (don't want to kill a good car) and was willing to do A LOT of work to swap everything around (and I might be). I should probably look up production numbers to see what year had the most SVTs produced, and therefore be more likely to have spare seats available. Someone slap me if I'm over thinking things.

Side note: Like everyone here, I'm sure, I want to heavily modify the stupid little car if/when I get one. I'd really like to do the Kugel Komponents RWD kit, but keep the stock engine and mount it longitudinally with a T5. Now if I found a donor SVT while looking for seats, then I'd value the option of having a 6th gear over RWD. I guess it all comes down to what I find...

Focusblackzx5 08-30-2012 11:23 AM

Same thing for me.. The 05-07 cloth seats were not supporting my back. I have some back problems, so I bougth SVT seats in a junkyard. Lumbars ajustment , reinforced side supports and they are beautiful looking !

I have the red cloth on black leather svt seats set, but if you can find Recaros ... jump on them^^ I don't know for you guys in America but here in Canada, SVT Focuses are very rare.