Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Flash memory card or USB stick to play WMA files 2012 Titanium (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295532)

lifespeed 08-17-2012 02:21 PM

Flash memory card or USB stick to play WMA files 2012 Titanium

I would like to play my WMA lossless format music collection from my home stereo in my 2012 Focus Titanium with MyFord touch. I see that it has an SD card for navigation, and two USB jacks.

What is the preferred way to do this? I have read rumors of FAT32 format being the only supported format for USB flash drives. Not sure this would be compatible with a 64 GB (I have a lot of music, and lossless is larger) USB drive.

Alternatively, I could get a 64 GB SDHC (High Capacity) memory card and swap it for the navigation card. Kind of a pain to have to swap between cards. I guess Ford should have included two card slots, or perhaps there is a way to copy navigation data to my 64 GB music memory card.

Is anybody here familiar with the best approach for bringing a large, lossless music library to the Focus premium audio system? Which is better, SDHC memory card or USB stick? Is there a preferred folder/file organization MyFord touch wants to see?

I am looking forward to hearing my favorite tunes on this nice stereo.

Lifespeed

lifespeed 08-19-2012 01:40 AM

Nobody plays music from flash memory?

Red Jay 918 08-19-2012 01:53 AM

i would assume whichever is more comfortable for you. i use USB in mine. then again i have no choice but to since i dont have a slot for a memory stick. i dont think theres a particular folder unless you have it set up that way (such as having your music categorized by genre). for me, i just tell my SYNC "USB" and it plays the songs on my flash drive since my music is in-categorized.

lifespeed 08-19-2012 01:56 AM

How large is your USB stick? Which filesystem?

Red Jay 918 08-19-2012 02:20 AM

its just 4GB nothing special. & FAT32

DoogieB 08-19-2012 07:36 AM

My SE Sport has the Sync system with all the buttons so I have to use USB. I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive with FAT32 in the USB port in the armrest and it's working well. The tiny size is perfect for this application.

If you have two USB ports you certainly wouldn't want to swap those tiny cards around to use the NAV.

SYNC uses song tags so directory structure is irrelevant.

lifespeed 08-19-2012 01:18 PM

Glad to hear 32 GB works. Any idea if 64GB or 128 GB is compatible? I suppose MyFord uses USB 2.x? USB 3.0 would make updating the music library quicker on the PC end, and is backward compatible.

I would like to use the largest drive possible because of the lossless format memory requirements. I agree swapping the SD card doesn't make sense. I guess it is unlikely Ford allows both Nav and music to reside on the same card. With a big SD card there is room for both.

Are all of you playing MP3s on your stereo?

Fastlane54 08-19-2012 04:28 PM

I have a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16gb USB flash drive with the same SE Sync audio system like DoogieB's. FAT32 and WAV files, as they were ripped from my CDs. Write speed on the Fit is not super fast, but you can't beat it for the size where it plugs into the slot inside the armrest console box. Other flash drives would stick up too much and would probably get bent when using the box to store other items.

DoogieB 08-19-2012 06:29 PM

I wouldn't know why the bigger flash drives wouldn't work, just make sure they use the FAT32 filesystem.

All the music files in the car are decent bitrate MP3s. At home, music is either MP3 or FLAC, but that doesn't work with SYNC so they were reencoded to MP3's.

The sound system in these cars isn't exactly high-fidelity, so you lose nothing with a good MP3 and yet still get close to the 10K song limit with a 32GB drive. Also plan on massaging the song tags and making custom playlists to get the most out of the SYNC voice commands.

Fastlane54 08-20-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoogieB (Post 4312997)
... Also plan on massaging the song tags and making custom playlists to get the most out of the SYNC voice commands.

All the albums stored on the Cruzer are from my PC and were ripped from the CDs I own. Looking at the content of the Cruzer on the PC, it shows all the info, such as artist, song title, and the album folder. The screen in the car reads "unknown" for albums and artists, but has the correct song titles. When I "Play All" with shuffle off, it starts with all track 1 song titles in alphabetical order, then track 2 songs, etc. It won't play just one album in the proper sequence. Is there a way to fix this?