Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Poll: Who else has made their own Spectre modular intake? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295498)

Andrews-bad-SE 08-17-2012 02:11 AM

Poll: Who else has made their own Spectre modular intake?

Just wondering if anyone else has. I made one for my Zetec until I scrape up the coinage for a nice Volant. So has anyone else made their own?

katiekay 08-19-2012 05:50 PM

So, you just threw away money? I don't mean to sound harsh, but you shoulda just saved up to do it right in the first place. I have heard that the best setup is a K&N drop-in with an SVT snorkel, I don't know how true that is cause I have an Injen and it works just fine.

As for your poll, yes people make their own, but I don't think they do it to get something modded the cheap way to save up and do it the right way.

Kinda pointless.

focusmaniaczx3 08-19-2012 07:32 PM

well it isnt really terribly bad. its kinda throwing your money away because it doesnt really make better performance but it does sound alot better. however you would have gotten better performance simply putting a K&N filter in the stock intake.

Andrews-bad-SE 08-20-2012 11:14 AM

I work at a parts store, so I got it all pretty darn cheap. And my friend already had a new filter and everything, it only cost me around 30 bucks to make one, so it's not like I even wasted that much. Hell I probably saved that much in gas just because of the filter. If I didnt get a deal on it, I would've just waited, but since it didn't cost anything I figured what the hell, why not. And I have a Volant coming soon. :)

SvviftSVT 08-20-2012 11:59 AM

I still wouldn't have spent thirty on it. if I were to piece one together, the only Spectre piece I woulda maybe use is a filter, but don't use that plastic crap.

Andrews-bad-SE 08-20-2012 12:34 PM

I only did it because my stock airbox was broken (God only knows what this poor car's been thru before I got it) and chrome adds hp haha. I figured it's gotta flow better than the dusty old conveluted air tube that it had (which was broken) I think my Focus was abused before I got it, it's in great shape now that I fixed it up, but the previous owners beat it up. I figured 30 bucks wasnt a lot to spend on a temporary intake.

Paladin 08-20-2012 12:39 PM

if it was broken then yes. in truth the only real restriction in the stock setup is the maf housing. but since its tapered it does just fine.

time at a scrap yard could have scored an unbroken stock box. probably cheaper than the spectre job.

Andrews-bad-SE 08-20-2012 05:47 PM

True, live and learn I guess. Couldn't hurt it to try though. And like I said, it's only temporary. When my Volant comes in I'll sell my Spectre stuff to my Honda buddy, he loves throwing money at slow cars ROFL

Blue5ive 08-20-2012 06:39 PM

Didn't do a spectre but had a short ram. For me it really improved the performance/exceleration over 3000k rpm.

Andrews-bad-SE 08-20-2012 11:43 PM

That's what I made, a short ram. It's doing good, not as good as a seamless metal one, but it's pretty nifty for what it is. I also have full header/exhaust, so it does alright for what it is. I left the snorkel on it, so some cold air can still come in (at least that's the idea) so I can get some performance out of it. I also cut/shaped the bottom part of the airbox to use as a heat shield of sorts, as the snorkel clicks right into it, I figured it'd help a little.