Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   ST+center exhaust=no hitch? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295323)

Superd 08-14-2012 10:09 PM

ST+center exhaust=no hitch?

Hi folks, I would consider trading up my 2012 FF for a ST when they come out but only if I can get a hitch for my bike rack. Putting a muddy mtb on a roof mounted rack is not appealing to me!
Anybody ever seen a car with a center exhaust with a trailer hitch?

Focus YBTC 08-14-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superd (Post 4306562)
Hi folks, I would consider trading up my 2012 FF for a ST when they come out but only if I can get a hitch for my bike rack. Putting a muddy mtb on a roof mounted rack is not appealing to me!
Anybody ever seen a car with a center exhaust with a trailer hitch?

It's my biggest gripe about the ST too. Looks great but makes the car unusable for someone wanting to carry bikes unless you get an MPG reducing, paint scratching, wind noisy, garage door and bike bashing roof rack. Any possible hitch that could work with the center exhaust would probably be completely heinous looking too.

BlazedReaper 08-14-2012 10:18 PM

not me...

im sure it could be modified to work, but i think itd probably be cheaper to tinker and move the exhaust the use the cut out in the bumper for the hitch...

bawxcar 08-14-2012 10:32 PM

The minis have one that goes underneath the exhaust pipes.. Does it not? I'm talking the Cooper S series. I've seen one with a small street Bike on a small trailer before..

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S2 using FF Mobile. [Android build 4.0.4]

wilsonfocus86 08-15-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focus YBTC (Post 4306578)
It's my biggest gripe about the ST too. Looks great but makes the car unusable for someone wanting to carry bikes unless you get an MPG reducing, paint scratching, wind noisy, garage door and bike bashing roof rack. Any possible hitch that could work with the center exhaust would probably be completely heinous looking too.

Whoa calm down bro [ohcrap] MPG reducing (not really at all unless you are driving well over 100 miles where you see a 1-3 reduction ouuuuuu), paint scratching (all the contact points are rubber, no scratches on my car), wind noisy (well, I'vvve got the AeroBlades, so no noise at all my good friend), garage door (what about it, I've got one) and bike bashing (nope, all my bikes are still pristine) roof rack (which is awesome as hell [thumb])!

Sorry, just had to. It's not like you are going to be buying the ST and wanting to put a hitch mounted rack on. Oh boy. You made my night though!

djwrg04 08-15-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 (Post 4306718)
Whoa calm down bro [ohcrap] MPG reducing (not really at all unless you are driving well over 100 miles where you see a 1-3 reduction ouuuuuu), paint scratching (all the contact points are rubber, no scratches on my car), wind noisy (well, I'vvve got the AeroBlades, so no noise at all my good friend), garage door (what about it, I've got one) and bike bashing (nope, all my bikes are still pristine) roof rack (which is awesome as hell [thumb])!

Sorry, just had to. It's not like you are going to be buying the ST and wanting to put a hitch mounted rack on. Oh boy. You made my night though!

^^ lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using FF Mobile

kylesvt720 08-15-2012 06:52 AM

I had a few ideas related to this, as I'm an avid mountain bike racer.

1) Get the Roush rear bumper or other with a left exit exhaust.

2) Mount the hitch in the center, and create a custom exhaust that dumps to the ground.
(You could mount the stock exhaust tip on a piece of 1 and 1/4 steel, and stick it in the hitch when not in use, so it looked stock.)

3) Just trade for a regular focus bumper, and use a hitch with that.

My reasons for not wanting a roof rack:

1)I ride a lot with my girlfriend, and she doesn't always train for as long as me. Having a tired 5-2 girl trying to put a bike on my roof rack scares me.

2)A friend dropped his bike onto the roof of his car, (front wheel of for a tray rack.) Caused $1200 in damage...

Focus YBTC 08-15-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 (Post 4306718)

I've heard it all before and I don't believe any of it. In my experience the only advantage a roof rack has is that it displays your "lifestyle" way up high for all those folks that like to make a statement about themselves more than they like to ride a bike. That roof racks are a much larger detriment to fuel economy over hitch racks can't be disputed by any serious person. You could probably get around the paint scratches with a little ingenuity but the amount of people that should know better that drive their expensive bikes into their garages or other overhangs thereby ruining their bikes, racks, car roof and garage doors is staggering. All it takes is once after a hard ride when you're pretty fatigued and inattentive. I've seen many people I know do it that I never dreamed would. As for "aeroblades" you got me there, never heard of that and don't care to Google it at the moment but most roof racks with bikes on them are noisy.

That said, the ST clearly chose looks over usability for me at least. I'm not going to buy multiple vehicles just to have a special one to transport bikes and will never use a roof rack. An optional rear exhaust setup that allowed the use of a trailer hitch for a rack would have been nice. It could have even been a dealer installed option. If you look at the back of the ST you can imagine a hitch will be possible but I can't imagine it being as hidden as a regular Focus hitch, it would negatively impact ground clearance on the lowered ST going up and down driveways and it would probably look terrible.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/350542...ar-profile.jpg

mikebontoft 08-15-2012 09:28 AM

of course the ST is for looks (and performance).. you want functional, stick with a regular focus.

Focus YBTC 08-15-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebontoft (Post 4306990)
of course the ST is for looks (and performance).. you want functional, stick with a regular focus.

I want both, performance and functionality, always have always will. They are not mutually exclusive. [driving]